_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Massachussets national guard m60s
maxim37
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 157 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 01:09 AM UTC
Hi Guys.
I have the recnt Tankograd book on the u.s army m60,m60a1,m728 afvs.Im very intrigued by picture of an m60 of the Massachussets national guard m60.The tanks unit is 1st battalion,110 Armored regiment.What im looking for is help with the tank markings.Does anybody know what markings this tank or simliar national guard m60s would have worn in the 1980s???.The tanks at Reforger exercise 1985.The exercise was called central guardian .
Any help would be very welcome indeed.
Cheers guys from Richard
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 2,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 171 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC
Unless the crew went all colorful with nicknames in chalk or camouflage make-up stick all markings would be black stencil. Probably 26- or 26I 1^110^ or 1-110^ bumper codes.

There would be the weight marker on the front glacis as well as a tiny "first shot-- second shot --" in front of the fire extinguisher pull handles. There should be a tiny black star on the rear final drive cover.

The engine cover could have "15W40 only" stenciled on the sides and the air filters (top loading by the 1980s) would have a stenciled legend "After NBC attack, air cleaners to be serviced only by NBC equipped personnel"

I know it was also standard practice to put the unit code on the jerry cans to keep them from walking away.

There was more to US Cold War tank markings than just bumper codes over the four color scheme. Back when doing M1 transition in the early 1990's I had a chance to look at an Idaho Guard M60 that had just been put on display and was still in it's original scheme.

Hope that helps and at least it's a starting point?
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC
I will see if I can find you some pictures. I have the good fortune of having served with a couple of people who were in the MA National Guard at that time, and they might have pictures or other reference material. Let you know soon as I hear !
maxim37
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 03:51 AM UTC
Thank you so much guys for replying!!!.The help is most welcome.
Appreciate your replies.
Many thanks from Richard
maxim37
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hi Brian.
Would be great if your buddies have some massachussets m60 info.
Look forward to any good references.
Thanking you.
Cheers from Richard
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 803 Posts
KitMaker Network: 132 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 - 09:06 AM UTC
Im working on getting some pictures from one of the guys I know who was in tanks at the time... He did tell me the MA Guard tanks were the A-5 model M-60, upgraded in the late 70s
 _GOTOTOP