_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Oil paint thinner
heavyjagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 09:55 PM UTC
I have started to experiment with oil based paint washes. I started by applying a darker wash to the cylinders of an air cooled radial engine, to give the fins some depth. I like the effect, but the mineral spirits I used to thin the oil paint, softened the base coat of paint, and it will come off just handling the engine. Is there anything I can use to thin the oil paint that will not attack the enamel base paint?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 12:53 AM UTC
Was the base coat enamel or acrylic? If it was enamel, it will react with almost any thinner. you can add a coat of Future or other acrylic gloss coat to protect it from an oil wash.

I use a thinner purchased from an art supply store. Rembrandt low odor, which gently thins the oils for a nice, even wash but doesn't attack the paint underneath. Anything from the hardware store is too harsh.
heavyjagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 15 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Was the base coat enamel or acrylic? If it was enamel, it will react with almost any thinner. you can add a coat of Future or other acrylic gloss coat to protect it from an oil wash.

I use a thinner purchased from an art supply store. Rembrandt low odor, which gently thins the oils for a nice, even wash but doesn't attack the paint underneath. Anything from the hardware store is too harsh.

I believe you are right. I was using enamel, and did not put any kind of clear coat down before I applied the oil wash. Before I paint the rest of the model, I will spray a clear gloss coat on before the oil wash.
Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP