_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Need to find article on making flags
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 984 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:15 PM UTC
I tried using the search. I know someone could give me a link much faster though. #:-)
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 607 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 01:31 AM UTC
Well the way that I make a flag ( 1/35th ) is to find a pic. of the flag I want to use such as the dragon ( in my sig. line ) flag that I used on a M1A2 a while back . Just print it off cut and glue it . I hope this helps .
Belgian
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 12:39 PM UTC
I'd like to know the same thing. In particular, how to drape the flag over an object.

I tried printing one out on my color printer. When I made it wet, the ink kinda disolved. I was also afraid that the paper I printed it on was too thick.

- Belgian
sweatydogz
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 114 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 01:04 PM UTC
Try this.......http://www.track-link.net/articles/105

Its worked for me several times.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 3,179 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 02:12 PM UTC
OK, I use tin foil and make a decal on my printer. you need to get special decal paper for this this AND use a clear coat to seal the decal. I use paper from Bare Metal, they make paper for ink jet and laser printers.
I find the photo of the flag I want on the internet and then print it out on the decal paper. It is then coated with testors Dull Coat and allowed to dry.
By applying the decal to foil you can drape it over just about anything. The flag in this photo is made using the above method.

MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 03:47 PM UTC
Wow, I'm glad this was posted. I have had a hard time trying to figure out how to do it. Thanks for your time.
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 04:16 PM UTC
I should point out for that flag I used a clear carrier film (BareMetal also makes "white" decal sheet , but just plain white won't reproduce without the help of paint on those sheets) and painted the foil white before applying the decal, thus the white section of the flag is actually paint. Some colors don't do well using my method, especially yellow, but a little yello paint under the yellow portion (i.e. the hammer and sicle of the USSR flag) should help the cause.
Hope that helps, ask if you have more questions or PM me if you need more help!!!

NATE
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 236 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 08:10 PM UTC
Try this link:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/20169&page=1
Petro
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 984 Posts
KitMaker Network: 65 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 04, 2004 - 11:42 PM UTC
Thanks AP bullet, that was exactly the one i was looking for.
And thanks to Porkchop and AJ Lefleche(?) for the other tips.
Marc.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 01:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd like to know the same thing. In particular, how to drape the flag over an object.

I tried printing one out on my color printer. When I made it wet, the ink kinda disolved. I was also afraid that the paper I printed it on was too thick.

- Belgian

What you need to do is to seal the inks after they dry with something like decal saver from Microscale. Brush this on carefully after the ink is dry. Apply a lilght coat of diluted white glue to the back side (unprinted). This will softenthe paper enough to allow it to take folds wiothout causing the inks to bleed. I've done this with as complex a flag as the Irish Brigade flagand cavalry guidons from the American Civil War with no problems. http://photos.kitmaker.net/data/500/591guidon.jpg
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 10:39 AM UTC
I have a slightly different approach. My wife does a lot of sewing and as such has a significant amount of pattern paper cut offs. This paper is a fairly loose weave, but has good strength. I have found that you can tape a piece of this stuff to a regular piece of paper and run it through the inkjet printer. Becasue the paper is thin, the ink goes through to the other side, especially if you have your printer set on best quality. After the "flag" is dry, you can spray it with a satin finish to seal the inks. You can then use the white glue/water approach to drape the flag in your scene. At some point I'll do a quick tip on this method.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Monday, January 05, 2004 - 12:03 PM UTC
AP Beat me to his thread.
I'm working on getting it into an article but here's the information (again)
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/20169&page=1
Belgian
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 37 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 06:11 PM UTC
Well, in my picture gallery you can see my first attempt. What I did was make a template from an Evergreen styrene sheet. Then I painted a piece of aluminum foil all red. Added the white circle and then the swastika. Of course I let the paints dry in between.
It worked out ok, except that the edges from the circle and the swastika are not so ... nice, straight. I had some bleeding. Keep in mind that I still have to weather the flag.
The draping was very easy with the aluminum foil.

I think what I'm going to try next time is to print it out on decals and then transfer it to aluminum foil. I'm kinda wondering if that even works.

Thanks!
Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 09:05 PM UTC
The best way I have ever seen for making a flag is that described over at www.archertransfers.com. Check out the article at:

http://www.archertransfers.com/FlagInstructions.html

Lee
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 2,832 Posts
KitMaker Network: 680 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 10:15 PM UTC
all the suggestions made would wrok great, i like the tin foil one personally, cheers, good luck
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Friday, January 09, 2004 - 04:05 AM UTC
Least:
Drop me a PM or e-mail if you need any more help!!!
 _GOTOTOP