_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
How do you explain to your kids?
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 - 11:45 PM UTC
Hi guys

Been a while since my last post on here, RL interfering... I build mostly WWII armor, sea and air.

So I was wondering how those of you with small kids handle this. My daughter is now 5 years old and started asking questions, like What is a tank for? Does it destroy houses? (fortunately she hasn't yet goten the idea that it could also kill) What is war? And I'm not quite sure she's asked yet but if not she may soon: Why is daddy dedicating so much time to this topic and building models of it.

So how do/did you explain that fascination for war machines and military history to a 5 year old?

Cheers!
Stefan
darthpanzer
Visit this Community
Puerto Rico
entire network: 38 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 01:34 AM UTC
Hi. i believe your question is a fundamental one in this hobby. I think that must of us do not Really like war or conflict in reality. But is safe to say that 85% of model kits have to do with military equipment or warfare of some kind. From ww2 Germans and allies, roman legions and samurais, to 1/1 scale gun reproductions to Star Wars spaceships.I myself got into modelling because of Star Wars.When i saw the making of documentary eons ago and saw those guys gluing together all those model kit parts to make the millennium falcon and the other ships I was hooked. As i grew i became fascinated with overall world history, and 3 main periods, Classical Greece and Rome, medieval Japan and ww2 Germany. Professionally i studied fine arts and now work as a museum guide. I love the same way the Parthenon, a samurai armor suit and a Tiger tank. I respect them the same. I see the history behind them, the reason for their existence, the complexities of their design. I see them as pieces of art.

I have a 5 year old boy who likes to go to daddy's room full of toys and little soldiers. I have try to explain to him that tanks and guns actually hurt and kill,sometimes attacking but sometimes defending something or someone. I have try to use allegories with animals, like mammals that can be very gentle with their pups but can get very mean and aggressive to defend them, or their territory or to get a meal. Humans physically are not as strong or fast as must animals so using their brains they developed weapons. they started with spears and arrows and that evolved into modern weapons and well, who knows, maybe a light saber one day.

I do not believe the idea of guns don't kill people, people do. Guns and weapons have a function that they are design to perform. but at the end, is the human being who is responsible for their use.

So basically I will tell a child that weapons are part of human history and development, modelers are artists who enjoy recreating that history through the military technology that has left and impact through time.
Hope i have help.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 03:47 AM UTC
Probably easier than explaining to some adults.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 04:32 AM UTC
I don't know if you did this , but did you not take a magnifying glass and play alien invaders and burn ants ? Or kids now a days would rather play with high tech toys ?
Tosspot
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 05:35 PM UTC
I am not a fan of killing people or destroying property.
I build WWII German armour because I like/am interested in technology and design, the same reason I am interested in computers and Formula 1 racing.
The fact that war seems to accelerate design makes it all the more interesting to me.
I would focus the discussion with your child around the science and engineering required to build these machines no different to building a toaster or car.
hoplocat
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 06:43 PM UTC
My 3 year old asks why is there a naked lady on my P47.

'Oh look at this! It's a 500lb bomb, here go drop it on your hotwheel.'

Basically boys handle this 'killing machine' idea better, they watch a lot of action cartoons with stuff that go boom eg. DC,Marvel, Ben 10 etc. After awhile they get the idea.

Girls on the other hand are the ones that need explaining or show dis-interest.

I observed at a few model workshops with kids, the girls would pick stuff like Dinosaurs or VW Beetles and generally avoid military items.
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 399 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 24, 2014 - 11:30 PM UTC
Amazing how when we were kids growing up in the 50's and 60's, one of the primary things to do was building models, mostly being military subjects. Parents were not concerned with "violence" associated with toys as in today's world. I built my first model in about 1966 at age 11. Before that, my brother George was building Aurora military subject kits around 1960 or so. We all grew up normal and respectful of others.

Now days, kids are hooked up to computers, video games or other electronic stuff to pass the time away, and in some cases being respectful to others is a thing of the past.
Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
entire network: 2,058 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 06:50 AM UTC
Guys, thanks for your POVs.

Kevin, completely agree, it's definitely not the killing aspect that attracts me. In fact, the more I read and see, the more I detest war, but nevertheless I'm fascinated by the history, the sacrifices and the technology. Unfortunately, war is part of humans as much as civilization. My kids are also fascinated by the room full of "toys". But it's hard to explain that to them as it involves too much basic knowledge they don't have yet. I guess it boils down to the simplified fight between good and evil and I'm trying to honor the good guys while enjoying a great hobby.

Mike, true, especially in Europe, unfortunately.

Edmund, similar, but not quite. The main difference is that with the ants I'm not a role model.

Adam, the question a grown up would then ask why I'm not building civilian tech and the answer is I'm simply not interested in it. For me it's definitely the history that makes it interesting.

Bryan, true, I think my son won't ask any such questions...

Ernie, apart from the times, where killing a chicken for dinner is no longer "normal", it's probably also the place, in Europe and Switzerland this is much more of an issue. I remember a mother prohibiting her son from having contact with me when I was a kid because she thought I was too "military" just because I liked playing soldier in the woods...

Cheers!
Stefan
 _GOTOTOP