_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Photo Etched
Sekytwo
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 69 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 08:45 AM UTC
Guys im pretty new to this hobby and have built 3 models now just straight from the box. My newest kit that I have gotten is the MENG Merkava 3D and I have started to do my research and was wondering whats the big advantage in having Photo etched parts when compared to the plastic pieces. The majority of the photo etched parts look and feel so fragile and seem like a cheap aftermarket.? Please Excuse if I sound Stupid im just trying to learn.. Thanks
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 01:08 PM UTC
Etch adds more detail to and detail items a kit may lack. Usually, it is closer to the scale thickness of a piece. This is readily apparent, when it comes to belts and latches. However, if you feel that the oob is close enough, go with it. I am an etch junkie. Only build what you consider fun.
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,094 Posts
KitMaker Network: 134 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 21, 2014 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Etch adds more detail to and detail items a kit may lack. Usually, it is closer to the scale thickness of a piece. This is readily apparent, when it comes to belts and latches. However, if you feel that the oob is close enough, go with it. I am an etch junkie. Only build what you consider fun.

I couldn't agree more with Matt.
Some etch kits just replace kit parts- sometimes with more accurate versions of the kit parts in terms of surface detail, scale thickness etc. Other times, particularly in new kits, the difference between etch and the kit parts is minimal and under paint would be pretty much un-noticeable. Like Matt said- build what you consider fun- just because a part is in the etch kit doesn't mean you have to use it!
plastickjunkie
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 399 Posts
KitMaker Network: 92 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 22, 2014 - 01:48 AM UTC
It all depends on the kit. Some have really excellent molded details and truly don't benefit from pe. Others are screaming for better details.

Take the ROG 1/32 Uhu as an example. It has beautiful molded cockpit details (killer IPs) that IMO do not need to be replaced with pe. The seat belts are a different story and would benefit from the upgrade.

I usually use pe if the parts will be more to scale and add missing details such as replacing thick molded on grab handles. Otherwise I may not use all the parts in the fret.
 _GOTOTOP