_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Acrylic Paint
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,481 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 12:05 PM UTC
Hi all,

I know there are some threads regarding acrylic paint but I wanted to start a conversation anyway. I am currently using Tamiya acrylics and I am finding that they dry too fast. So my topic question is this, what acrylics do you use and why? Do they provide enough work time, do they flow smoothly through brush and airbrush.

I ask that you not refer me to another thread but provide some feedback regarding this thread. Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for participating.

Dave
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 01:48 PM UTC
I mostly use Tamiya for my airbrushing.I use the Tamiya X-20A thinner to thin it.I get plenty of good coverage, no tip drying out,and a nice finish.
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 06:30 PM UTC
@ David:
I've heard that some people have had some luck using acrylic retarder fluid, such as Liqitex's "Slo-Dri" fluid retarder. Tried it with one GSI Creos paint that I had, and it seemed to help.
If you can find it, you can also try GSI's Mr. Color Leveling Thinner, which has a retarder pre-mixed in.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 08:12 PM UTC
Lifecolor brush painted from the jar no thinner works just fine, through an air brush just add a bit of retarder, Revel Aqua color from the pot sometimes needs a bit of thinner (water) and if airbrushed then needs thinner and retarder. Vallejo model air straight through the airbrush, brush painting is a little thin so mostly use standard Vallejo and thin/retard if shooting through an airbrush.

All the above are water based so can be thinned with water for brush painting just mix on a paint pallet / old (clean) lid until you get the consistency you require. Revel Aquacolor metallics are some of the best I've used, very fine pigment but do need thinning a bit and must be painted over a black base to get the best from them.

I use all three makes all the time mostly for brush painting but do shot them through an airbrush at low pressure and with a retarder either Lifecolor or Liquitex and thinned if required.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 11:54 PM UTC
I have been using Tamiya acrylics and have had some good results. I have found that 50/50 paint/thinner with a retarder did not give me a good result. The paint was too thin and the primer showed through.

When I reduced the thinner and removed the retarder I got a smooth even coat.

I was dry brushing yesterday and found that I was racing the clock as the pain began to dry in the cup and create a thin film.

I have been modeling for years but took a break for about 10 years. Before the break I always used enamels but I found that acrylics seem to be the paint of choice these days.

That being said my only acrylic experience is what I have learned over the past couple of months.

So a couple more questions. So which acrylics are best in your opinion for air brush and which are best for brush application?

Dave
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 12:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I was dry brushing yesterday and found that I was racing the clock as the paint began to dry in the cup and create a thin film.

Try using a wet palette for lengthy brush sessions. HTH.

--mike
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,194 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 03:33 AM UTC
I switched to Vallejos a few years ago when I got back into the hobby. Best decision I ever made. Once you realize that they don't behave the same way as enamels or Tamiya, you're golden. Smooth, even and good coverage when thinned properly with water (ratios vary between colours and paint range). Versatile for washes, translucent layers and so on when mixed with retarders, flow enhancers or matte/gloss medium. I brush paint but have heard that airbrushing can be a bit tricky with the nozzle clogging, retarder should help there and wiping the tip every few minutes with a cotton bud should help too. I find drying time to only be a problem when working with a very very fine brush. As long as the brush can hold a good supply of paint, you shouldn't have too many issues. For dry brushing, even when you think the brush is dry, there's a surprising amount left if you have good quality brushes. Frequent swishing in water during a session and fanatical devotion to cleaning your brushes is necessary. Acrylics are very tough on bristles, so don't let your paint dry on them!

Kimmo
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 04:41 AM UTC
Kimmo, I will look into Vallejo and give them a shot.

Mike, can you expand on wet palette what do you mean?

thanks
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 05:02 AM UTC
Vallejo Model Color Line,the best for brush painting,not Model Air.
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 05:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kimmo, I will look into Vallejo and give them a shot.

thanks

The primers are nice too. Wet palette means having a moist/wet sponge and paper for your mixing palette. The sponge keeps the paint wet longer. It's useful for figure painting because you're mixing a lot of small amounts of paint.

Kimmo
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 06:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Kimmo answered it. Here's a quick YouTube video on how to make one.

http://youtu.be/KDuAnLGB5Ls
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, August 18, 2014 - 11:13 PM UTC
I appreciate the information regarding a wet palette. Will watch the video shortly.

so here is another question, is there a good all around acrylic paint that works well with brush and airbrush, is easy to clean and has a good range of color?

Another question for ya'll acrylic users, why do you choose acrylic over enamel paint? Is it primarily ease of cleaning?

Dave
Tojo72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 12:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I appreciate the information regarding a wet palette. Will watch the video shortly.

so here is another question, is there a good all around acrylic paint that works well with brush and airbrush, is easy to clean and has a good range of color?

Another question for ya'll acrylic users, why do you choose acrylic over enamel paint? Is it primarily ease of cleaning?

Dave

Not in my experience,Different paints seem to work better for different things.I particularly like Vallejo Model Color for hand brushing, while Tamiya and Modelmaster Enamels airbrush really well for me.

I do like to use acrylics because they stand up to oil and enamel washes with no extra steps
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 10:16 AM UTC
I do appreciate everyone's response to this thread, it gives me some things to think about and to test. here is another question, what type of brush is best for acrylic paint? Sable or camel hair? What about oils?

Dave
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 11:23 AM UTC
Some swear by sable, then again you'll get someone saying synthetics are better because they don't splay as easily as natural bristles. I've got decent sables and good synthetics. To be honest, I can't notice a difference with Vallejos. When I was painting with water colours, I could definitely notice a difference with how the brushes reacted on paper, the sables should be more supple. But don't write off synthetics just because not too many people use them. If you have a good art supply store, check their high end line of "student" brushes for the good synthetics rather than the name brand stuff, it's usually a top maker anyway. And go in person to check them out if you aren't too familiar with brushes and the different brush types. I also have some cheapo big rounds and flats for primer and flat coating. I'm talking 4 euros for a set of 12 deals. They work surprisingly well, plus the smaller ones are great for pigments. Also check out filberts and shaders, very handy.

Kimmo
Norman44
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 02:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

I know there are some threads regarding acrylic paint but I wanted to start a conversation anyway. I am currently using Tamiya acrylics and I am finding that they dry too fast. So my topic question is this, what acrylics do you use and why? Do they provide enough work time, do they flow smoothly through brush and airbrush.

I ask that you not refer me to another thread but provide some feedback regarding this thread. Any and all comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks for participating.

Dave

I think that Tamiya is very good acrylic paint, but recently I've bought the new one brand paint, which satisfy all my needs. I ought to tell u that you should try a lot of stuff berofe u find best one.
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 23, 2014 - 11:18 PM UTC
Norman, thanks for the link, will have to review it when I get home. The link doesnt work from the office.

I recently bought some vallejo paint so I am taking your suggestion of trying different brans before settling on the best.

I do have to admit though that I miss enamel paints a little, while they were difficult to clean they are a little easier to use in my opinion.

Dave
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 12:41 AM UTC
Dave, once you figure out how the Vallejos work, I think you'll be happy. You need to relearn painting to a certain degree, they do not work like enamels. Those Mig paints may in actual fact be Vallejo, there is a past history and Vallejo makes paint for a lot of other brands, Italeri for example. Take your time and experiment with thinning ratios, coverage etc, each colour has its own threshold and don't overwork the paint, a couple of brush strokes is plenty.

Kimmo
plasticman17
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 78 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2014 - 08:15 PM UTC
I like the Testors Model Master Acryl paints. Little thinning for airbrush in which I use alcohol or a retarder. They dry nice and flat and have a wide selection of colors.
As for brushing I use the Vallejo paints with a medium glaze. Life color and Andrea are good too 👍
 _GOTOTOP