_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Sanding Sticks
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 08:01 AM UTC
I recently Googled sanding sticks and found the ones sold by Squadron.

I then tried to find some reviews but all I could find were sites selling them or discussions suggesting making your own with popsiclelolly sticks or buying cosmetic ones for nail shaping and polishing.

So questions

Any merits to going with Squadron
How long do they last
Any alternatives
Are the cosmetic ones for nail care really the same

Cheers,

Nigel
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 146 Posts
KitMaker Network: 39 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 08:49 AM UTC
To answer a couple of your questions-
The cosmetic sticks are not bad. However, the grit seems a little different than stock sanding sticks. The best thing about the cosmetic sticks is that they can be found for dirt cheap.
One alternative that I'll be checking on very soon are diamond grit needle files. Supposedly they work more like sandpaper than true files, are durable, and don't clog easily. Found a 10 pc. set locally for less than $8 US, so I figure it's worth trying out.
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 11:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To answer a couple of your questions-
The cosmetic sticks are not bad. However, the grit seems a little different than stock sanding sticks. The best thing about the cosmetic sticks is that they can be found for dirt cheap.
One alternative that I'll be checking on very soon are diamond grit needle files. Supposedly they work more like sandpaper than true files, are durable, and don't clog easily. Found a 10 pc. set locally for less than $8 US, so I figure it's worth trying out.

Would those not be a little too harshcoarse for plastic modelling?

Cheers,

Nigel
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 11:29 AM UTC
Get the diamond grit files , they work on plastic and will work on brass and copper PE . They will last a lifetime and you can use an eraser to clean them . Only drawback is sometimes they might be too fine a grit . Look for them at Home Depot or Lowes in the tool section . Sometimes they are given away as promotional items .
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 12:03 PM UTC
Just picked up the files. Definitely worth it. Coarseness seems like maybe somewhere around 200-400 grit, so it'll make short work out of roughing something into shape. Should be great for resin too, along with stainless PE, to add to what Edmund wrote.
There is no such thing as too many tools.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 01:13 PM UTC
I use all of the above (depending on the job), plus some really skinny square sanding sticks that I picked up at a hobby shop. I have no idea who the manufacture is though.
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 03:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Get the diamond grit files , they work on plastic and will work on brass and copper PE . They will last a lifetime and you can use an eraser to clean them . Only drawback is sometimes they might be too fine a grit . Look for them at Home Depot or Lowes in the tool section . Sometimes they are given away as promotional items .

Would these be what you are talking about ?

http://www.lopacki.com/files/ned.jpg

If not post a link. I have a set of the ones in the link. I agree they seem to work better then the traditional file. to clean them up I have this --> http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/apa0701.htm

Cheers | Salud!
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 05:50 PM UTC
@ Robbie:
Very similar to the ones I have. Handles are different, though.
That abrasive cleaning disc in the link you posted looks interesting - going to have to see if any of the local tool stores carry something similar.
EDIT: I wonder if http://www.harborfreight.com/sanding-belt-cleaner-30766.html might be nearly the same thing.
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 08:29 PM UTC
Nigel if you attend any shows in the UK there are always traders that have sanding sticks available or if not MDC (Model Design Construction) carry a range as do Little Cars. Models for Sale give away a free pack (different sizes and grades) for orders over £50 or you can order them for £6 there a cheap set but then at £6 they don't break the bank.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

@ Robbie:
Very similar to the ones I have. Handles are different, though.
That abrasive cleaning disc in the link you posted looks interesting - going to have to see if any of the local tool stores carry something similar.
EDIT: I wonder if http://www.harborfreight.com/sanding-belt-cleaner-30766.html might be nearly the same thing.

If it's a belt sander that you want to clean an old tennis shoe would work , however it would look out of place on the table top . Or for something small just get an eraser
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2014 - 08:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Would these be what you are talking about ?

http://www.lopacki.com/

If not post a link. I have a set of the ones in the link. I agree they seem to work better then the traditional file. to clean them up I have this --> http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/apa0701.htm

Cheers | Salud!

Close enough that would work , now the only thing you should worry about is the comfort level , does it feel right when you hold it . Will it tire you when using it ?
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 08:41 AM UTC
What 'grit' are the diamond files you are using.

I've had a look at eBay and the ones mostly on sale are 140 grit which seems quite coarse for plastic modelling.

Cheers,

Nigel
Alystyr
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 08:47 PM UTC
Nigel-
Hat a chance to use the diamond grit files, and despite them having that coarse of grit, it's easy to control how much material is taken off. I think it's the fact that one doesn't have to use a lot of pressure for the tool to work.
Just use a light touch, and maybe a little water.
Probably the best set of tools that I've bought in quite a while, in my opinion.
You will still need to use a fine grit sanding stick/sandpaper for the final finish, but that's expected. These files just get you to that point with less work.
 _GOTOTOP