_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Resin Problems
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:00 AM UTC
I've been working on my first resin part for my F-16C. I tried sanding the excess part. I'm working on my regular working area. After a while, my arms and foot got very itchy. Does it have something to do with resin? Is it really needed to wear a mask when sanding them?
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:15 AM UTC
Yes! Inhaling the resin dust is harmful to your health. Also prolonged contact with the dust could be harmful, I think it may irritate the skin. I'm not sure about this though. I use a casserole dish with about a centimeter of water in the bottom to sand in. It keeps the dust to a minimum. Make sure you use wet/dry sand paper (in the US it is normally black). Ensure you wash the casserole dish thoroughly before putting it back in the kitchen cabinet.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:23 AM UTC
Oh my! Thanks! Good thing it was minor sanding. Any other symptoms regarding the use of resin aside from ichines?
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:38 AM UTC
Shonen,
I'm allergic to resin too... Sabot was absolutely correct pointing out that's harmful ti inhalate the dust originated from resin sanding. What I can add is:
- always use a mask when sanding
- try to use wet sandpaper; it helps reducing the dust in the air and to get a smoother finish too
- wear a pair of latex gloves when working on it
- sand over someting disposable like an old newspaper, in that way you can wrap within it the most of the dust from your working area
Ciao and good luck
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:07 AM UTC
Can I add that I always get the vacuum cleaner out and use it where I've been sanding resin immediately after, I use the hose attachment to do my clothing just to be on the safe side. I'm not sure just how much exposure to the resin dust is needed to affect one's health but I'd rather be overly cautious.
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:21 AM UTC
Good policy on the quick clean up with the vacuum.
I found a nice particle mask at Home Depot for airbrushing that also works great while on resin.
Also check out using a moto tool.
I had a lot of resin slag to cut when i started my current kit, for the SciFi Winter campaign.
The shavings didnt irritate me, but they were everywhere, and I'm certain an inhalation hazard.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 08:11 AM UTC
I wish I'ld heard about this earlier. I've had no noticable effects from dealing with resin, and I really don't deal with it much, but now I know. Why don't the kit manufacturesrs post a warning about the dust on the kits?
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:14 AM UTC
Accurate armour kits have a warning in the instructions, as well as guidelines similar to those above about safely working with resin,

cheers

joe
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Why don't the kit manufacturesrs post a warning about the dust on the kits?

Gauranteed way to bring in the lawyers at some point, maybe ???
maybe they show up if you dont warn,
maybe they show up and extort $$$, no matter what #:-)
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:48 PM UTC
Verlinden, Cutting Edge, Black Box, True Details companies all post warnings on the instructions. Many overseas Resin companies do not.
The compounds used in Resin production are Nuero Toxins , all HAZORDOUS to your health. There are 2 types of resin mostly used in the hobby field. they are: Polyester and Epoxy. They are not the bad ingrediant. Its the hardener thats the CULPRIT. The hardener
HAS a derivative of MEK in it. Thats why you shouldn't inhale the dust and why it makes you itch.
Always wet sand resin in a shallow cake pan with water and wear a cotton filter mask to prevent inhalation of the dust.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 07:35 PM UTC
Thanks all! Hmmm.... instead of resin AM parts, why not change the material used to plastics?
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 09:01 PM UTC
Because the cost of the moulds for injection plastic is too high...
Ciao
(:-) (:-)
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 10:32 AM UTC
I use a razor saw to remove as much material as possible then, as mentioned earlier I have a small plastic or glass dish that I fill with water to cover the sand paper. The water traps majority of the resin dust.
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 11:03 AM UTC
I first use my motor tool to saw of the big parts.

then I go outside with my spray (gas mask) and sand it off with my motor tool on high speed then low speed I shake out my clothing and go inside and problems solved.
and yes I do go out in winter time... I DONT want resin dust in my house since I been in bed for 3 months due to paint resin etc hobby is nice so is health
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 06:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks all! Hmmm.... instead of resin AM parts, why not change the material used to plastics?

Not all, but most resin manufacture is done with open, gravity fed molds, and then put in a vaccum, or presuure pot. The resin is in a liquid form ,close to honey and then becomes solid during cure.
Plastic on the other hand is not a liquid it is molten plastic, therefor must be used in Injection type molds and machinery. As said before this is very costly. Plus you cant get the details you can with resin, because of the mold structure.
 _GOTOTOP