Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Warship graves being striped for salvage
Littorio
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,728 Posts
KitMaker Network: 279 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 05:38 AM UTC
I just came across this news item and was appalled to learn that salvager's are stripping the HMAS Perth and the Dutch sub O-16 both war graves for cash.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 06:53 AM UTC
This activity is in very poor taste but it is easily stopped by making sure people know it is happening and asking people not to visit the country concerned. Nothing get the attention of governments like a reduction in income.
3rdArmoredVet
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 148 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Thursday, August 14, 2014 - 07:41 AM UTC
It never ceases to amaze me how low some people will stoop to make a few dollars. Absolutely sickening. I hope the Aussie Govt. can get something done about this post haste.

My family and I were just on the USS N. Carolina, BB-55, a couple of weeks ago. Glad memorials like that still exist and wish that all great warships, whether afloat or sunk, could be protected areas to honor the men who served in those conditions.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2014 - 06:08 PM UTC
Notice that article is 9 months old? Wonder if anything was ever done, or if there's just a depression in the ocean floor where it used to be, now?

Sad as it is, I don't believe the Indonesian government will be bothered too much by it.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 02:10 AM UTC
It's gone , sold for scrap . Maybe the ordnance still , that is until the local fishermen dive down and recover the shells for dynamite fishing or scrap .
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 07:34 AM UTC
People steal anything without much concern. Bronze markers on monuments, bronze headstones, unattended crutches, wheelchairs and canes made of metal, even the wires out of smoke detectors in restaurants and shops, and no one accepts any responsibility for their actions.