_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Restoring Old Filler/Putty
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 - 06:42 AM UTC
As the title suggests, I wonder if anyone has ideas for breathing new life into old/dry/crumbly putty. I've got a tube of white Squadron that I bought maybe 2 or 3 years ago and while it still gets the job done, it's not so easy to apply anymore. Rather than spreading it like peanut butter or dotting a bit in place, I need to forcefully press the chunky stuff into the gaps. So what would you do in this situation?
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 2,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 424 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 - 10:02 AM UTC
Liquid cement or laqcuer thinner can be used to make putty more workable: squeeze out some, add cement/thinner and mix. It's quite a hassle as you need to do it every time you use the putty. I'd just buy a new tube.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 - 02:03 PM UTC
You could put it in a glass bottle and add cement or lacquer thinner and have it ready each time you need it .
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 01, 2014 - 10:21 PM UTC
Buy a tube of auto-body putty. $6 for a lot and it works a lot better than Squadron.
TEJones
Visit this Community
South Africa
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Saturday, August 09, 2014 - 06:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Buy a tube of auto-body putty. $6 for a lot and it works a lot better than Squadron.

I have bought a tube of Sikkens automotive putty(I think spot putty grey and pink) tube. very fine beige colour. Works like a bomb, I also thin it down with MEK and brush into / onto small areas. Normally squeeze a piece onto my humbrol 78 cockpit green tin and leave it there. when it hardens I just add MEK and mix with the #1 paint brush I use. Oh yes dries quick and sands quite nice too
cheers
 _GOTOTOP