_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Glue Tip for a newbie
CaptainZero
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:35 PM UTC
Hey guys,

Relatively new to this forum (did the intro bit the other day - thanks for the responses) and could do with some advice.

I'm building a German SP which is coming along ok given my lengthy absence from this hobby. However, I have one big gripe! I tend to use a brush application super glue which is what I used for my boys' GW stuff. It seemed fine for that. However, when I come to glue all the tiny bits & pieces on my SP I struggle to avoid leaving a trace of the glue on the surrounding part of the model no matter how hard I try. What do you guys do to get around this? Am I missing something obvious? Obviously I'll be painting the model which will (I hope) cover this but I'm not 100% sure it'll cover it properly. Or is it a case of practice makes perfect.......?

Any words of wisdom will be greatly appreciated. Happy new year to you all!
Jakkels
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 19 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:58 PM UTC
I use one of those glue bottles which has a long needle like tube for precise application when attaching spades, ropes etc. Both Revel and Humbrol make the similar bottles.
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 10:29 PM UTC
go for what Jakkels says also use cocktail sticks squeeze a little glue onto a surace and dip the stick into it rub on the glue you can also whittle the stick down to a finer point if you need to also try and get some glue which comes with a brush with it you can use a fine paint-brush to apply the glue that way as well just remember to give it a good clean after use
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 01:27 AM UTC
Some things I do...
Technical/drafting pen for liquid cements, better control than a bristle brush and easy clean up
Put a drop of superglue (Zap-A-Gap is my favorite) and touch the fiddly part's attachment point to the glue and plae on the model
Put a drop of superglue (Zap-A-Gap is my favorite) and use a piece of wire or stretched sprue to transfer a tiny amount to the model

kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 1,416 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC
I apply my super glue to parts like Al said. I will put a small drop of SG on a small piece of wax paper and then apply with a piece of wire of stretched sprue. The wax paper tends to 'preserve' the SG for quite some time before it starts to harden. I also will apply a small drop to a scrap bit of styrene if I just have a few parts to glue together.

Happy New Year!
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 681 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:06 AM UTC
I use super glue gel, squeeze out alittle bit like about a tear drop and get a peice of balsa wood 1/8 thick size then sharpen a piont to it , dip it in and apply to areas of need. I use this becauce the wire get's messy at the end and it's easier to just scrap off the end when it globs up at the end of the balsa wood.

Or you can get that really thin wire at hobby shop and put it into the end of a thick piece of balse wood and dip the thin wire in and keep cutting the peice of wire with wire cuter were it gets built up at the end and boom new one again.

happy new year
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:07 AM UTC
I took a Sewing needle and cut 1/2 the eye off and stuck it into a piece of Balsa wood.
CaptainZero
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 4 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:39 AM UTC
Brilliant! Thanks guys, and again, Happy New Year!! :-)
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 04:40 PM UTC
Thanks for posting this Captn
I was using CA tonight and remembered your post.

I used a toothpick to keep it from making a mess
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 05:04 PM UTC
I keep all empty bottles of tamiya paint or humbrol enamel thinner for this job. I squeeze out little drops onto the bottom (glass) side and use from there. Cements can stay fresh for quite a while on the glass. After some time the bottle has a build up of glues and cements. Just throw away and start on the next one.
For fine applications I have a sewing needle fixed into the shaft of an old brush. When the bristles wore away, I drilled into it and then super-glued the needle in. If there is a build up of glue, I shave away with an old hobby knife.
If you are afraid of finger prints, lift the part with tweezers, dip in glu and then place. Fix in place with an old hobby knife.
 _GOTOTOP