_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
What's your biggest disaster?
newtothegame
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 588 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 04:35 PM UTC
So I have been working on this spitfire for about 2 months now. After completing the cockpit I was so happy about it; I thought it looked great. Then during painting I had some problems (some of your might know from the Aircraft part of this site), but I fixed it and things were again going great. I put on decals and it looked awesome - definately my best yet! Then came the wash...a wash that I have done on my previous 2 models with no problem - slop on the Acrylic, water, dish washing soap mix and rub off extra with a Q-Tip. But it didn't rub off. I scrubbed and scrubbed. So then I come up with the BRILLIANT idea to soak it in a sink of dishwashing water for awhile - surely this would make it all better...NO! AARGH! Some chemical reaction or something?!?

Here's the picture. I wonder if I am just not met to do this one. I'll keep it around for the memories both good and bad. And Holdfast and I have mentioned learning from our mistakes in another thread so here goes...Don't soak your already screwed up model in a sink full of dishwashing water, it'll screw it up more

Does anyone else have total failure stories to share and make me feel better??

Leon
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 06:13 PM UTC
Arh, sorry to hear that. But if it's a hurrican, and in soviet marking, then you have an awesome white washed plane on your hand.
Zverko
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 177 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 08:05 PM UTC
Salute comrade Leon.
Well I had a particular incident a couple of months ago with a Bf 109G-14 Hartmann (the white one). I painted the whole regular camo in its RLM colors and it turned out beautifully. Then I had to overspray with very thin diluted coats of white in a certain process to end up with a white paint job in which you can see through. The white was to thick and it ended up by being a white plane. Usually if I dont like my product I just unpaint it with ovencleaner and redoit. But I was so pissed with the model that it went straight to the garbage can.

Regards, Zverko
 _GOTOTOP