_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
what order do i paint sand clearcoat??
messynachos
Visit this Community
Saskatchewan, Canada
entire network: 142 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 04:42 AM UTC
Ok i have 2 coats of primer and a coat of paint enamel. I went to sand it with 600 grit and it seems to have made more of a mess removing thr gloss from the paint. I just painted a second coat and it seemed to take alot more to cover up the sanding i did previous. Now it looks ok.i want it perfect tho so did i mess up? Do i sand it down again or do i clear coat it then sand out the crap ? Lost and its my first car model with gloss. Help!!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 07:23 AM UTC
It sounds like you didn't let the paint cure long enough or you used the wrong type of sand paper(discussed further down). I have painted a couple of 1:1 builds. The rules are pretty much the same. Give each coat of paint 24 hours to cure. I start sanding, after the first coat of primer. Two to three coats of primer, then to the base color. I would recommend at least three coats, sanding in between. Finally, begin applying the gloss coat. I recommend Pledge Future(not sure what name it goes by anymore). Brush it on, as it is self leveling. Sand between coats. Build up the gloss, until you are satisfied with it. This is how I found to achieve a good gloss coat and I'm sure others have different methods. Oh, you will need to use "wet" sand paper. Regular stuff will chew through the paint and make a mess similar to what you describe.
messynachos
Visit this Community
Saskatchewan, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 09:46 AM UTC
Ok i will try that!! I do have wet sandpaper do u juat keep it wet and sand away? The sandpaper is automotive sandpaper and i have multiple grits. I will Let it sit longer before i try n sand it again. It did make a mess last time. But i didnt wet the paper
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 18, 2014 - 10:34 AM UTC
As far as wetting the paper, there may be a difference between working with automotive enamel and those used for models. When sanding a car down, you want the paper to be damp and can use a piece by "washing" it. Basically, wet paper is for sanding paint. You can use regular sand paper, but will have to go through several pieces as the paint will clog it. I forgot to mention, 1200 grit is much better for models. It buffs more than removes. So, it will smooth the surface instead of removing the paint.
messynachos
Visit this Community
Saskatchewan, Canada
Posted: Saturday, July 19, 2014 - 01:15 AM UTC
Ok right on thanks!!! Also i do have pledge with future i thought that was only recomended for my tanks and military models? Also you recommend brushing it on instead of airbrushing it on? I have a testors clearcoat and dullcoat but i will use future if you guys say so im so new to auto and trying to get that real nice paint finish. Thanks again for all the help and advice!
 _GOTOTOP