Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Homeland Security on the job
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC
I've nothing against Homeland Security and the tough job they have to perform. I'm curious though, I just received a package from overseas that had apparently been intercepted by them. It was a pair of Bravo6 resin figures ordered from a supplier in Hong Kong. They were repacked, after inspection, in a padded envelope and upon receipt the box was little worse for wear, but the resin parts were undamaged. I've received many orders from this supplier, and others, from various parts of the world, and never had one suspected and searched before. I'm just wondering what set the alarm bells ringing this time? Does resin smell like plastic explosives? I'm sure others must have run into this, as I would hope that I'm not a particularly suspicious character. Would like to hear from anyone else who has had this happen. Al
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 04:16 AM UTC
In the past, I've had TSA fondle my bags, but they usually leave a note that they were there. My last flight to Asia, someone had rifled thru my bag and checked out how much currency I was carrying (less than 5% of the limit) but nobody took any thing or left a note.
mat
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 894 Posts
KitMaker Network: 127 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi,

Usually when packages are intercepted it is for these reasons

1) drugs
2) explosives
3) customs issues

most of the time packages are openened by customs to see if duties have to be paid. HKG is not an origin which is known for drugs (like south america) or terrorism (middle east) If the name of the company was on the package, probably it was option 3. 1 or 2 is possible, but unlikely. I work in international logistics, so these are my 2 cents
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 05:24 AM UTC
I suspect the number 1 cause is the X-ray operator can't figure out what they're seeing. One of our bags, domestic trip, held a child's car seat and a bunch of 'rosebuds' made from Hershey's Kisses and floral wire. They at least left a note that they checked that one out.
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 06:39 AM UTC
Might have been a fellow modeler who wanted to check out the quality of the figures. Or just checking to see what kind of "modeling" subject was in the box.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 10:31 AM UTC
I believe that the DHS does random bag checks. I had a box of cocoa powder intercepted, before. Given, it is a food item. But, there was no way to tell that from anything else using an x-ray.