_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Painting
nicktwolf
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 11:28 AM UTC
Hello,
After 4 years I've decided to get back into painting and have a question about paints. I bought a few small models to get back into the swing of things and had a question, what is the best paint to use? I was looking at testors mainly because they have come across as the best for what I can afford. But I'm not sure if I should splurge for something that costs a little more. Any suggestions? Thank you
MCR
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 464 Posts
KitMaker Network: 54 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 02:31 AM UTC
Actually? It seems to me every one of the commonly available hobby paints on the market (Testors Model Master, Tamiya, Vallejo, Life Color, and so on) have their good points and the biggest determining factor in which to pick is the technique you want to use for weathering and the exact color you're looking for. Read some of the on line articles on the topic and you'll see what I mean (YouTube is a great source for painting-weathering information, BTW).

Lately, I'm on a Vallejo kick. Though I don't use them anything like exclusively they have some very good qualities that make them pretty pleasant to work with (they behave predictably, lay down well, dry quickly, and when properly thinned even work well with brush painting).

Good luck!

Mark
nicktwolf
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
entire network: 6 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 02:50 AM UTC
Thank you, I know it will be a year or two before I try weathering. I really want to get back into painting because it's been way to long since I have been able to do it.
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 3,033 Posts
KitMaker Network: 361 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 20, 2014 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know it will be a year or two before I try weathering.

Nick,
Why wait? Go for it!

--mike
 _GOTOTOP