_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
MODELING ON A SHORT BUDGET
WARPEE
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 17 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 06:38 AM UTC
I was gonna get on here and sharpshoot this place, because of the lack of comments on my project, and talk a bunch of smack, about stuck up prima donnas, et al, so, I decided to look around first, before going off...

You guys are PHENOMINAL! The work I see on here, is nothing less then professional. The guys scratchbuilding 4 door GWOT "technicals", out of old snap tite kits...Awesome!

So, is there a modeling site out there that is more my speed, because I'm about to retire, and there's no way my "HH6" will allow me to buy an airbrush/compressor, more tools, and a 50-75 dollar kit per month...The stuff I do is rattle can, sandpaper, etc. like the good ole days...I will probably never get up to some of your guys speed, but a guys gotta have something to do, besides mowing the lawn, right?
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 06:54 AM UTC
Tom we have all sorts of members here; youngsters tackling the first build to very advanced members scratch building items from start to finish and there is everything in between. The forums do tend to be quieter in the warm months than the cold. Monday tends to be the busiest day with it droping off towards the weekend.

As regards comments to a thread the important thing is to title your post clearly and place it in the right area to catch members notice. Also you will find that as your post count increases more members will track down your posts to see what you are up to.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 07:32 AM UTC
One of the old hands at my club sez that "Modeling is problem solving".

Look around, don't be afraid of off beat sources. I've been buying graded sanding sticks at Sally Beauty Supply. Waterproof sticks for less than $1 each. I used to make flexible sticks by using rubber cement, Styrofoam egg cartons and wet/dry sanding paper, the sticks are easier. Check out the Dollar Store, I picked up a set of 20? shot glasses for a buck, great for mixing paint (avoid lacquers). I also use small jelly jars (~1 oz)[check Wal-Mart after Christmas] for mixing and storing paint when I'm air brushing.

Who needs fancy clamps?, use clothes pins. You might want to stick with your paint manufacturer's solvents for mixing paints, but you could use big box store solvents (about 1/2 the price) for clean up.

I build 1/72, it's been years since I bought a $50 kit. Check out the vendor's table at shows, the prices are usually way below retail. Here in WA, there are a couple of resellers of 'used' kits, prices are good, risks are low.

Happy Modeling!
shuber57
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 08:05 AM UTC
If you really want to model on a budget, never buy anything unless it is well below retail and you are going to use it right now. No stash, no impulse buys at the hobby shop. The more you put into a single model the more you get out of that investment. Spend time on the details, a $100.00 model is not so expensive if you work on it, get the most out of it and spend 6 months or a year on it. But a cheap model unbuilt is the most expensive thing you own because you are not using it. Every unbuilt model and unfinished project is something that is wasting your financial resources with no return.

Above all learn where to bargain hunt and this can be a cheap hobby.
WARPEE
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 08:32 AM UTC
My last project:
One OOP Monogram CJ-7 Renegade, 1/32nd scale: 25.00
One can Tamiya DK Blue: 4.50
One can Tamiya Ft White: 4.50
Two Dragon figures cannibalized from figures kit, Tamiya British Medic Team, and DML Vietnam weapons kit: ?
Bottle of ZAP medium glue: 6.00
Tamiya modeling putty: 5.00
Extras, from the parts bin, 40MM grenade can, dufflebag, ALICE pack: ?
TSDS custom decals: 55.00, but durn well worth it!
Griping from my HH6 about putting my toy jeep up, so that I can do something on the "DO" list: constantly priceless!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

My last project:
One OOP Monogram CJ-7 Renegade, 1/32nd scale: 25.00
One can Tamiya DK Blue: 4.50
One can Tamiya Ft White: 4.50
Two Dragon figures cannibalized from figures kit, Tamiya British Medic Team, and DML Vietnam weapons kit: ?
Bottle of ZAP medium glue: 6.00
Tamiya modeling putty: 5.00
Extras, from the parts bin, 40MM grenade can, dufflebag, ALICE pack: ?
TSDS custom decals: 55.00, but durn well worth it!
Griping from my HH6 about putting my toy jeep up, so that I can do something on the "DO" list: constantly priceless!

I've been there, more recently than I am willing to admit. Keep an eye out for sales. And, there is nothing wrong with "old school". I'm not sure what your exact budget is, but you can Find airbrushes for less than $50. Just don't shop for big name companies. I believe you can get the entire set up from Harbor Freight for around $90. As for kits, keep an eye out on this site and EBay. Some of the older kits are very fine in detail. Remember: Have fun. That's all. Just have fun.
WARPEE
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 03:11 PM UTC
I appreciate the words...I dropped out of the model scene, but picked it back up, a couple years ago, when I got my then new job in Albuquerque...I work a swing shift Wed-Sun., and needed something to keep my mind right, during the winter...Whittling down the kits I collected off E Bay, etc., mostly ones from my youth, but also started down memory lane, with my time in the USAF...Now I'm working on a Polar Lights re-release, of the 1964 Aurora "Godzilla" kit...Gonna try to get my drybrush skills back, highlighting the radioactive lizard...Gonna use some make up blush brushes, that are "throwaways"...

I'd like to do a couple more 1980's USAF Security Police vehicles, like a HUMM-V, and M-1008, but unless I go for a complete scratchbuild,I don't think I can come up with a C Note for a Miniman Factory CUCV, as of yet...Might as well forget about a 1/32nd Dodge Aries ( K Car) sedan, I only drove one for a few cycles anyhow...Zero-60 MPH, eventually... Ummm, not to toot my lil horn, but my Jeep pictures are in the "figures" section, under the "1/35th USAF SPs out of other Figures" post...
lone-ronin
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 147 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 02:25 AM UTC
Sign up for Hobby Lobby's email shopping circular, it usually has coupons (40% off most of the time). I got an Iwata Neo airbrush for around $30 using one, and have picked up a kit every now and then when I need a "quick" OOB build. Their military selection is not that great, but sometimes a car model will help break the monotony. LOL You might check and see if Micheal's has the same sort of thing.
 _GOTOTOP