Hosted by Matt Leese
Aztek Airbush Questions
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,481 Posts
KitMaker Network: 49 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 08:45 AM UTC
Hi all, hoping some of my fellow Aztek Airbrush users could provide me with some assistance and advice. I just recently started using my airbrush again and have been getting decent results but not as good as I had hoped.

I am using Tamiya acrylic paints with this airbrush and have used it to paint the hull of my current project. So far I am getting what appears to be a dusty covering on the hull. Its not actual dust its the paint and even after a significant amount of time when wiped it comes off. I don't know if I am using too high of an air pressure or am I thinning the paint too much and it is drying before it lands on the model.

any assistance or advice you could give me would be great.

thanks

Dave
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 09:22 AM UTC
Are you using any paint retarder ? You could try tamiya's own . It sounds like the paint is drying while airborne and settling back down on the model . You need a gizmo to pull air away from the model while spraying , that's it a paint booth . Or just pull away from the table top while painting .. We won't get into the respirators and stuff like that . What you painting ?
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 12:09 PM UTC
Chumpo,

Not using any paint retarders. Right now I am painting the hull of an IJN Musashi 1/350 scale. I live in Georgia and it has been warm over the days that I have been using the airbrush. I don't have a paint booth. What about using a fan faced opposite from the target? You mentioned a respirator, I paint in a garage with plenty of air flow, do I need to use a respirator? thanks for your help

chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 06:33 PM UTC
You are spraying a large surface , the airbrush is on for a long time . a lot of paint floats and dries in the air . A retarder can't hurt and will help the paint blend in on the hull , keep the wet edge longer . there are those who will say you need protection from the solvents in the paint even if they are acrylic. but that's your call . show some pictures .
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 01:16 AM UTC
thanks for the advice. I found a Vallejo retarder that I will give a shot. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Never heard about the respirator before so Ill look into that. Thanks again. If you have any other advice for using my Aztek feel free to add. thanks again
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 01:27 PM UTC
Vallejo is water based and Tamiya is not a true acrylic , it's still alcohol based , so be careful of mixing Tamiya and Vallejo. . Always try it out first on a scrap piece before jumping in the pond . As for the Aztec airbrush never had one . I would be lost with that one .
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2014 - 04:09 PM UTC
Hello David,

What model Aztek are you using and what is the nozzle color?

What PSI are you spraying at?

Cheers,
Joe
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 08, 2014 - 04:37 AM UTC
Joe,

Is the Model A470 and I have been using the White Nozzel for large areas. I have been using 30-40 PSI. I recently bough a yellow nozzel and used it with Vallejo Black primer and it worked pretty well. I find the primer to be very forgiving.
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi David,

I have the same airbrush.....and thin my paint 1 part paint
2 parts thinner and spray at 15 PSI with a gray nozzle.

You may want to try releasing a little more paint as opposed to air when you spray and your PSI seems very high.

A wetter coat should resolve the powdery texture your are getting.

Cheers,
Joe
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 09, 2014 - 10:26 PM UTC
joe thanks, I will try that on the next go round. Do you run your airbrush on single action or double action mode?

thanks again all for your advice, I appreciate it.

Dave
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 11, 2014 - 01:33 AM UTC
David,
Sorry for the delayed reply....I use it in double action
mode as it allows me better control of the paint and air mix.

Cheers,
Joe
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 07:16 AM UTC
Joe,

thanks again for the advice..i used the grey nozzle and it worked like a charm. I dropped the psi down to 25, for some reason 15 wasn't pushing any paint. In either case the flow was smooth and there was no powdery texture.

thanks again

Dave
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 26, 2014 - 09:03 AM UTC
You know that if you have any issues with your Aztek Airbrush Testors will fix/replace for free. I have had my A7778 fixed for free when the hole where the paint cup is inserted developed a crack (actually if fell off the stand onto the floor). Here is a link of the innards though I would not recommend doing it yourself (voids the warranty big time). But it does give you an idea why maybe you have to keep your PSI up high.

http://www.master194.com/encyclo/aztec/
(hope you know French or use Google translate)

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP