_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Publishng articles
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
entire network: 1,615 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 03:01 AM UTC
Hey,

I really enjoy reading the articles that appear in different modeling publications. Paper magazines still have the charm even in the digitalized era we live in

Did any of you have an article published so far? What would be “the” way to pitch your stories and articles? Where to pitch them in a first line? Is it realistic to expect some kind of return on the effort you take, be it money or even modeling supplies?

Just interested what your thoughts would be on this topic…

Thanks a lot!
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 05:03 AM UTC
Providing content for a website or publication can be rewarding. However, if you approach it from a 'whats in it for me' perspective you will probably be very disappointed.

I have not heard of a website paying for submitted content. Some of the hobby magazines do pay a little bit for feature articles.

I have provided articles, reviews and research material for assorted companies, magazines and websites. I've received compensation from some, and nothing from others.

Most publications provide instructions for submitting content in the fine print of their magazines. Most websites have a link for submitting content.

Ultimately, my gratification comes from knowing I'm making a contribution to the hobby and the enjoyment of others.

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 05:33 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing your insight, Brent!

Obviously, the "what's in it for me" aspect is secondary. I was just wondering how to approach them. For me, printed magazines are "the next step" in publishing your work and yet a white spot for me.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 07:26 AM UTC
Cristian; i know a few magazines watch this website and poach some of our feature writers. How do I know? Every so often I have to go out and look for content when some of our writer’s articles turn up in print.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 2,605 Posts
KitMaker Network: 650 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 10:22 AM UTC
To add to my earlier comments Cristian, there are a few things to keep in mind when writing...

1. Be clear and concise.

2. Verify your sources. Get permission to use images, etc if necessary.

3. Take your time to be accurate. Websites like Armorama take a senseless beating if something posted is incorrect. You get credibility as a contributor and desireability across mediums if you are known as an accurate, clear writer.

4. Write about what interests you as an individual. You tend to take more shortcuts and create a lessor product if your writing about something that you don't have a personal interest in.

5. Be open to feedback...good or bad. Feedback is how you improve. Accept the positive and use the 'negative' feedback to build on. Thick skin is a great thing and can be a real asset in developing your writing style and content.

Good luck if you decide to jump in.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2014 - 11:23 PM UTC
Thanks for your insight and advices! They are greatly appreciated!
 _GOTOTOP