History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
North Vietnamese Soldiers
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 2,362 Posts
KitMaker Network: 309 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 05:11 AM UTC
The popular image of the Vietnam War is of US soldiers fighting guerillas in black pajamas. But they certainly must have fought regular North Vietnamese soldiers as well?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 05:40 AM UTC
Yes,they did fight the NVA also.Ia Drang Valley for one
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 05:52 AM UTC
Too many times has the NVA been overlooked, due to Hollywood. Guerillas certainly played their part, but they were not North Vietnam's primary soldier. Khaki uniforms and internal order made up the NVA. There are tons of photos. As Tojo72 said, la Drang Valley. This was well represented in "We Were Soldiers". I'm glad to see Hollywood taking notes from history.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 08:03 AM UTC
The movie I was thinking of was "Little Dieter Needs To Fly", in which the protagonist is captured and imprisoned by people dressed a la Viet Cong=which I didn't think was actually that way.

Quoted Text

Too many times has the NVA been overlooked, due to Hollywood. Guerillas certainly played their part, but they were not North Vietnam's primary soldier. Khaki uniforms and internal order made up the NVA. There are tons of photos. As Tojo72 said, la Drang Valley. This was well represented in "We Were Soldiers". I'm glad to see Hollywood taking notes from history.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 09:17 AM UTC
It would also depend on the stage of the war. The Tet Offensive decimated the Viet Cong (Turns out it was intended to by Hanoi due to political skullduggery).
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 01:35 PM UTC
One other question-every depiction of regular NVA soldier's uniforms depict them as pale green. That so? I read that different nations have their own definitions for the word "khaki". In the USA, it means "light tan".
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,066 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 02:54 PM UTC
The popular image of the Vietnam War is of US soldiers fighting guerillas in black pajamas. But they certainly must have fought regular North Vietnamese soldiers as well?

Warriors cast a few PAVN figs - infantrymen and vehicle crewmen - but good luck finding any.

The Tet Offensive decimated the Viet Cong (Turns out it was intended to by Hanoi due to political skullduggery).

I've heard that too. It makes a lot of sense.
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Friday, June 27, 2014 - 03:56 PM UTC
There's Dragon's NVA Sapper team and also the counter-SOG figures from BRAVO-6. A bigger variety would be useful though.