_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello from England
activexp
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 10:37 PM UTC
Hello everyone,

Let me introduce myself.

I first got into plastic model making about the age of 9 or 10 (circa 1958) when Airfix Series 1 kits were poly-bagged and cost 2 shillings, 10p in today's money. My pocket money in those days was half a crown or 2 shillings and 6 pence (12p), just enough to buy a kit and my return bus fare from my nearest Airfix stockist.

Occasionally I'd save up and buy something more sophisticated along with the required Humbrol paints and built up quite a collection littering every shelf and free space in my bedroom. This continued into my early teens when other interests took over.

Now in my retirement I was looking for another hobby (I'm already into DIY audio) and wondered what the situation was with plastic kits in the 21st century expecting it to be dead having been replaced by computer games, iPads, mobile phones and the digital revolution. So it came as quite a surprise to find that the hobby was alive and kicking with some really interesting and unusual stuff especially with military vehicles, a subject I've always had an interest in.

Really looking forward to getting back into the hobby and have already made a start with the Trumpeter Soviet BM-21 GRAD rocket launcher. It's my first serious attempt at kit building for over 40 years!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 01:15 AM UTC
Hi Stephen,

Welcome back to the hobby, and welcome to Armorama!

If you get the chance, check out some of the local model exhibitions (you can look at mafva.net/diary or at ipmsuk.co.uk/events for what's on) to see the current state of play regarding kits and supplies. There are plenty of clubs around, too, if you want to make your hobby more "social"...
 _GOTOTOP