_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Noob modeler
Tosspot
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 09:04 PM UTC
Hello all, I have decided to get back into the hobby after 30 years!
I have got my setup with all the best gear, but now need advice on how to start.
I am starting with the ITELARI 1/35 Sd. Kfz. 139 Pz Jager Marder III kit (nice and basic, I know).
What I need to know is how to start, do I build the whole thing then Prime and paint, or do I paint the smaller parts ( road wheels and shovels 1st) then build and paint.
I'm worried that if I build and then prime and paint I wont be able to get into the smaller parts to paint i.e. the top of the tracks, suspension parts, interior details.
All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sorry if I have posted in the wrong place
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 01:49 AM UTC
I leave the road wheels off, so I can paint them more easily. I assemble the rest of the model, including stowage first. Prime and paint it. Add the road wheels and tracks, then weather. Everybody has their own preferred method. I'm sure you will find yours, within a couple of builds.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 10:25 AM UTC
Welcome Adamak, to the forum. You ask a good question. One where you will get differing answers. Bottom line is you've got to decide on what's best for you and the particular model in question. I have painted mine in all manner available to me. Sometimes I paint parts while still on the sprue. Sometimes I'll assemble the entire model and then paint the smaller items. It will boil down to the model you are doing, what type of paint or weathering job you have planned, the amount of accessories going on the finished piece, etc.

I am sorry that I couldn't give you a more concise answer, but there really isn't one. In time you'll be able to determine what you want the model to look like long before it's finished and be able to make up a plan to get you there. Just be patient and enjoy the ride.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 10:55 AM UTC
Welcome back to the hobby Adam.

As Cary has said there is no specific answer to your question; however the rule of thumb is to assemble as much as possible before painting. Get all of your sub-assemblies together with any parts you have concerns about and then get busy with the airbrush. The model you have mentioned is a little harder due to the open fighting compartment; however if you assemble the hull, the gun as a sub-assembly (if possible) and the wheels assembled but not on the vehicle, you should be able to get to the areas you need to.

Good Luck
 _GOTOTOP