Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
A visit to Faliro Naval museum.
jkb_sprint
Visit this Community
Thessaloniki, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 402 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 04:01 AM UTC
After continuous demands from my eldest daughter (age 6) and my wife i must add, i decided to visit the naval museum in Trokadero at Faliro Bay. I know that in an armor modelling forum it may not be a very interesting subject but since i went and took some pics, i thought of posting them anyway. So for anyone interested.....

First the predreadnought or early dreadnought battle cruiser, others list it as heavy cruiser, Averof. It is still considered for historical reasons as a serving ship (rear admiral's ship) and is saluted as one from every ship that passes.

[imghttp://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx267/jkbsprint/IMG_20140614_145742_zps4673e4d9.jpg][/img]

Next is the trireme Olympias, built in 1985 exactly the way and with the materials used when she was the best ship of its time 2400 years ago. This one has sailed to England on her own strength, in 1993 to take part in some Naval celebrations there. Last use was in 2004 Olympics. After that she was decomissioned due to very high maintenance costs plus the manpower needed to keep her active. Her rammer, (emvolo), at the front of the ship is taken off to avoid stress to the wooden frame while out of the water due to the weight.

Plus a few more pics like the Royal yaght, ex Navy frigate converted after decomissioned but have not been used since 1968 and a Fletcher destroyer.

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 01:50 AM UTC
Do you know if the Fletcher class destroyer was the U.S.S. Brown? My grandfather served on it, during WWII and I know it was sold to Greece.