_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
COMMISSION BUILDS
clayocker
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 69 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 03:33 PM UTC
Hi all. I have a question for you all. I have had someone approach me to do a commission build for them. I have no idea of where to start (in terms of giving them a price). Does anyone have any experience or have any idea of what I should be charging for a commissioned work ? You can see my stuff on -
http://www.theworkbench.com.au/
I can't really see me getting anywhere near the money for the time I spend on a kit back... but that said I don't want to undersell it either. Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 07:24 PM UTC
A lot of it depends on what you intend to build. Factor in supplies, cost of kits, and labor. I add 10% to the cost of the kit and eat the cost of the supplies. After all, I enjoy building. Labor is the tricky part. When you give the client a quote, there may be some haggling involved. What is your time worth to you?
hellbent11
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 725 Posts
KitMaker Network: 320 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 05, 2014 - 09:11 PM UTC
Man, that is really nice work!

I'm in the same boat you are with my different "enterprises" - firewood, welding and fabrication, custom farming. I have a hard time because I feel guilty charging people for doing types of work I enjoy.

One thing that has helped me is starting on the low side to get your name out there and then asking more as demand increases. I also change what I charge depending on who/what it is. If you are a little old widow lady living on social security your going to pay less for firewood than an able bodied 30 something professional.

Remember though, when you are doing it for money the it becomes WORK and a lot more stress and pressure comes into play. You have to decide what your time and hassle are worth. Or more simply, how much money would I do this BS for? Think about what else you could be doing during that time... Is the money your making worth losing that?

Good luck, Hellbent
 _GOTOTOP