_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Subscription Costs
MTHopper
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 04:24 AM UTC
Out of curiosity I wonder if anyone can answer a long irksome question I have had.
I have long wondered as to the reason for the huge differential in subscription costs if one lives in the US or Canada, especially with regard to subscribing to a UK magazine?
For example Military Miniatures in Review. If I lived in the USA I would pay $48 USD, living in Canada I would pay $70USD!
Last time I looked Canada is closer to the UK so it can't be fuel costs. Shorter time so it can't be crew flight hours
To be fair, it also applies to South of our(USA/CANADA) border publications too. I used to subscribe to magazines such as MAXIMUM PC and Model Railroader etc but discontinued. Even when the dollar was at or above par the "premium" still applied. Perhaps it is because the dog teams are too slow to deliver to our village in winter or the Brits get lost coming over "the pond". Already tried asking the various publishers with nil results.

Cheers
Will
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 08:10 AM UTC
One word answer: customs
Berwickboy
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 450 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 10:18 AM UTC
You might want to look into magazine subscriptions on-line. Model Airplane International is available in the UK for £2.99 a copy whilst in shops it is £4.20. Have a look http://www.modelairplaneinternational.com and select shop from the menu bar then subscription from the drop down menu
MTHopper
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 56 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 11:28 AM UTC
Thanks for your replies.
Strictly speaking it isn't customs in my case, if it comes from the USA. Under the North America Free Trade Act the subscribed magazines are duty free IF they originate in the USA, Mexico or Canada.
However having looked at the Model Airplane magazine I see S&H is 12 GBP in Europe and 25 GBP for the rest of the planet.This at least gives me a clue as to why the differential may exist
Apparently Shipping and Handling to the Great White North may account for much of the rest of the 45.83% differential.
Well at least electronic versions of magazines are pretty much the same everywhere.
Thanks again.
Cheers
Will
 _GOTOTOP