_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Anyone using soldering gun for P.E. ?
SFModeller
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 154 Posts
KitMaker Network: 55 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 - 12:15 AM UTC
I wonder if anyone is using soldering gun instead of crazy glue on P.E parts ? RadioShack has a small one and i would like to know if it is good enough for the job. Thanks.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2911246&filterName=Brand&filterValue=RadioShack

Thanh Huynh
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 - 12:58 AM UTC
For larger assemblies, structures that have to be weight-bearing, and any box/rectangular structure, soldering can't be beat.

From the model shipwrights section of the network, I came across Gator Glue (but I think he had to change the name) which is a thicker, more flexible version of a water based glue, something between Elmers school glue and the crafters Tacky Glue. It works great for smaller bits and for etch to plastic joints. Water clean up is a plus and there is a decent window of working time.

For soldering, I use a cheap radio shack iron with the fine tip, but have it run through a Weller adjustable power unit from Micro Mark.
I use the liquid flux from Micromark as well and have been very happy with it. Also available there is a brass 'scratch brush' to clean up the parts before and after soldering.

All the soldering stuff at Micromark is listed together, and other than their shipping charges being on the high side, I have been a very satisfied customer.
(http://www.micromark.com/soldering-and-electrical.html)

Mike
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 - 09:37 AM UTC
You should invest in a variable temperature soldering station , some pieces want less heat and some want more , so you have to be able to dial up the heat .
Namabiiru
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 2,888 Posts
KitMaker Network: 489 Posts
Posted: Thursday, May 22, 2014 - 09:55 AM UTC
I like the suggestion of a variable temp soldering station (I'm still too stingy for that yet), and I would recommend a soldering pencil/iron versus a soldering gun. I think it gives you better control. And having interchangeable tips with different shapes helps too.

chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 23, 2014 - 06:55 PM UTC
Shop around , amazon , radio shack for the variable termp station . Even ebay they got some deals with free shipping . They are not that expensive and if your serious about PE soldering is the only way to go
 _GOTOTOP