Hosted by Matt Leese
TENAX question
PeeJay74
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC
I recently decided to try out a Tenax clone rather than my trusty Testors Liquid Cement with the cap brush. I picked up Micro Mark's same Stuff and a Touch-N-Flow applicator. This type of glue seems to be pretty popular amongst many modelers. My question is in the application methods. For my liquid cement, I would simply lightly brush some glue along the edges of the parts and then join them. This doesn't seem practical with the new glue. I was debating best practices, do I tape everything together and then use the applicator to weld the seams while keeping everything tight? Or do I just use it like liquid cement and apply to edges and then join them?

Any input or proven methods you guys have developed would be appreciated. It's probably a dumb question but I am one of those people who research everything to death before I put it into use.
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 162 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 01:12 PM UTC
Hi Paul,
I used to use Weld on #3 but that is hard to find now so I switched to Tenax7R and with both I use some of those white plastic handle brushes from Testors I have one of those Touch-N-Flows but don't use it very much. You could use any brush you like.

Cheers Rob.
PeeJay74
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 425 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 01:51 PM UTC
Ah ok, thanks Rob. I have a couple of those old white plastic brushes from Testors I can put to use.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 02:21 PM UTC
Tenax evaporates too fast , leave the cover off and you can see the liquid in the bottle disappear right before your eyes . Otherwise it's similar to Tamiya extra thin cement .
Dragon164
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,909 Posts
KitMaker Network: 162 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2014 - 02:37 PM UTC
Yes! as Edmund says try to keep the lid on and don't spill it.

Cheers Rob.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 21, 2014 - 01:10 AM UTC
I have recently found that lacquer thinner works very well. Better, IMHO than MEK. You can use teflon brushes to apply it. Simply hold the two pieces together and brush on. It cures almost immediately.
 _GOTOTOP