History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Briish award hierarchy
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 06:26 AM UTC
I am unfamiliar with the hierarchy of British military medals. Other than the VC, I don't know the level of prestige, I read some guy got the DSO or MC but what is the equivilency. In US its MOH, the crosses (Distinguished, Navy, and Air Force, Silver Star and BronzeStar. Could someone enlighten me please.
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
entire network: 714 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 08:24 AM UTC
This site has the British, Canadian, Australian and New Zealand honours and awards, and links to the official sites for that country. The honours are listed by order of precedence. It is difficult to say what awards from one country equate with what award from another country (Commonwealth honours excepted), because there are different criteria for each award.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_and_Commonwealth_orders_and_decorations
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 - 11:36 AM UTC
WOW and I thought we had a lot of medals. OK I know a lot of these are awards for non-military folks and stuff like that. I would just like someone to give me the short list of the Combat Decoration given to the service folks for gallantry in action
Ranger74
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 1,290 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2003 - 04:31 AM UTC
Just comment concerning the VC. Originally it could not be awarded postumously!! It was changed to include those that were killed or mortally wounded during the respective act of valor.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 08:00 AM UTC
More VC trivia. All the VC's were made from the bronze of the cannons captured at Sevastopol (Crimean War)...at least until it ran out
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 08:53 AM UTC
To my knowledge, it has not run out. This site gives you some good info:

VC Facts
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 10:29 AM UTC
it hasnt run out yet, but theres not much left,

i heard they were thinking of what to use once its all gone, they were thinking of using german guns from ww2,

never heard any confirmed statements though

cheers

joe
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 02, 2004 - 07:00 AM UTC
no I think there is about enough metal left to make 50 medals? which by the rate they are awarded will be enough for another 100+ years to come the gallentry awards have recently been overhauled as well now.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 03:23 PM UTC
Well, all the VC trivia is really interesting, but my original question still stands. What awards ae given by the British for gallantry in action? what is the heirarchy?
ModlrMike
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Saturday, January 03, 2004 - 04:37 PM UTC
There is no real hierarchy per se, but the order of precedence in which the orders, decorations, and medals are worn would be close enough. In answer to you second question, the VC, Conspicuous Galantry Cross (CGC), Distinguished Service Cross (DSC), Military Cross (MC), Distinguished Flying Medal (DFC) would require the action being honoured be conducted in the presence of the enemy. There are other honours and awards which can be won in the presence of the enemy, but that is not a central requirement of the honour.