_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Need help for my shopping list
DrBob
Visit this Community
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 08:26 PM UTC
Yep,

I finally can go out this weekend to do some hard needed shopping. Since I just re-started with modelling I have to go shopping to get those needed materials & supplies. Since I would like to buy most of it in one go, I need some advise.

I will be building AFV's and diorama's mostly so could somebody post a list of the most used colors for this ? (Vallejo or Tamiya) . I already own the complete Vallejo Game color range (for my games workshop miniatures). Can some of these colors be used ?

In addition, please also post some other well needed items I should get for washes, etc. For the pigments, I will just buy the entire MIG set I think.

Also, I found back my old Badger airbrush but am considering to go for the Aztek 470 (after reading so many comments). The only problem is the air supply. It seems that the only compressor found here in belgium is a tank-less Sparmax. Is this a good one or should I better look for something else (and where in belgium can I buy something better)

Kind regards
DrBob
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 10:27 PM UTC
Ok Bob,

For the compressor look at these guys Obeeliks and Artobi . But be ready to hand over serious money . You can also get an all-round compressor from any DIY store, but get some earplugs with them.

Kris
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 10:35 PM UTC
Well Bob, welcome to the site, as you seem to be pretty convinced with the Vallejo range, start here and take a serious look at their MODEL-AIR paints, these are FS/RAL matched:

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/

For metallics, Humbrol or even Citadel/Games workshop are excellent... JIm (:-)
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 10:48 PM UTC
As a postscript to the previous post take a look at this site for tools/abrasives etc, as you are in Belgium, postage shouldn't be too excessive....Jim (:-)

http://www.proopsbrothers.com
DrBob
Visit this Community
Flemish Brabant, Belgium
entire network: 7 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 12:46 AM UTC
Crossbow,

Indeed all these compressors are on the rather expensive side so I would rather go with the Sparmax or a DIY one. I saw one in the HUBO diy-store from Power Plus. It is an oil-less one (if anybody uses it, please post a little review). I'm only wondering how much noise it would make.

Jimbrae & others.

I know about the Vallejo air range but was wondering which colors I would specifically use the most (since I will not going to buy the entire range like I did for the game colors)

Kind regards
DrBob

Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
entire network: 1,217 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 12:52 AM UTC
U will need much diferent colours of brown, green and yellow for groundwork, models and flora^fauna so u can just buy all of those u find
crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm only wondering how much noise it would make.

Errhh Bob, I used to have something like that and it makes about the same noise as a power drill, so quite loud. Perhaps newer models are more silent. My advice is to ask in the store to run one and hear for yourself if the decibels are ok for you. Otherwise there is nothing else to do but use alternatives, save up for a decent one and put the Porsche on hold for a while .

Kris
Minuteman
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 261 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:30 AM UTC
DrBob, if you don’t find a compressor that seems to fit your requirements one alternative that is produces excellent results can be found at your local pub supplier, CO2. I purchased a bottle and just need to have it filled from time to time. A five-pound bottle (medium fire extinguisher size) will last quite awhile and is very inexpensive to refill. All you need is a regulator and the proper fittings for your brush. It is quite, excellent for middle of the night painting  and you don’t have to worry about moisture, though I still you a moisture trap. Just an alternative (:-)
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Crossbow,

Indeed all these compressors are on the rather expensive side so I would rather go with the Sparmax or a DIY one. I saw one in the HUBO diy-store from Power Plus. It is an oil-less one (if anybody uses it, please post a little review). I'm only wondering how much noise it would make.

Jimbrae & others.

I know about the Vallejo air range but was wondering which colors I would specifically use the most (since I will not going to buy the entire range like I did for the game colors)

Kind regards
DrBob

If you hunt around on the net, most shops carry a set of Vallejo paints specifically for both Axis and Allied painting. Each set contains 16 bottles of paint. I would recommend these to start with.

Also, I believe somewhere on this site is a color chart for Tamiya and Vallejo paints. This may help a bit.

Stuke
StukeSowle
Visit this Community
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 04:25 AM UTC
Here's the link to the conversion chart:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/279

_GOTOTOP