Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Translation question - non military!
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
entire network: 6,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 276 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:22 PM UTC
I'm trying to translate a conversation without a video or anything, so I have no idea what the setting is... one person says to the other "Caffeine and drizzle?"... what does the drizzle part mean?

Thanks in advance for any help

Hisham
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:24 PM UTC
Sounds like it could be a Coffee Shop. A Caramel (and others) Drizzle are added to some Latte's and whatnot.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:34 PM UTC
So it's like a topping for the coffee? Is it usually just Caramel, or can drizzle mean any kind of topping?

Thanks
Hisham
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 10:52 PM UTC
Another puzzling one for you.. without any known context

"Get some wind in your hair, you know. The leaves are turning"

Hisham
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:08 PM UTC
It's just one a many that could be used. Mocha is another one.

Quoted Text

Get some wind in your hair, you know. The leaves are turning

Could refer to a Plane ride (in an open cockpit) or possibly a Convertible or Motorcycle?? for a scenic drive/flight in the Fall when leaves change colors.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 10, 2014 - 11:43 PM UTC
Thanks, Matt, for clearing up that coffee thing. I'm not into all this latte craze, so I don't know anything about what they offer!

As for the other one, I was thinking more in teems of a metaphor or something like that.. maybe meaning that times are changing and he needs to hit the road and get with it.. or would that be reaching? Without a context, it could mean anything.. including the literal meaning!

Thanks
Hisham
matt
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 12:10 AM UTC
That could work as well. without context It's difficult.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 02:05 AM UTC
On the caffeine question, you can drizzle lines of just about any syrup to sweeten, flavor and decorate latte. This sounds like the type of short order slang used in American diners. Here's a link with the orders and their meanings.

The second sounds like an admonition to get some motorcycle rides as in [i]IN THE WIND]/i], a semi girlie chopper motorcycle magazine.
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 08:57 AM UTC
I'll agree with the "wind in your hair" meaning to take a ride or go on a trip (normally used with motorcycles, convertibles, or in the pre-A/C days, with the windows down).

The second part about the leaves is harder to pin down without context.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 09:15 AM UTC
Thanks for the link, Al, it's very useful

Bob.. the first thing that came to my mind was taking a ride of some kind, but that second part with the leaves is what's confusing me

Thank you all, you've been very helpful

Hisham
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 10:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hisham

I think it is a reference to the onset of autumn/winter, and the need to get motivated. In the States the big sign that summer (and carefree times) are over is when the leaves of the deciduous trees (oaks, maples, etc) start turning from green to yellow to red-brown, before they fall off for the winter. Getting "wind in your hair" means hit the road and do some travelling. The whole meaning is effectively "get yourself in gear and do something - time's running out!" or similar.

One curious phenomenon in the States is the "Leafies" who take a few weeks in the autumn to tour the Appelachian mountains from north to south, following the "wave" of colour change as the cold air of autumn gets to the north before it reaches the south. The Blue Ridge Parkway is the perfect road for such "timber tourism"...
Hisham
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2014 - 11:09 PM UTC
Thanks, Tom, for confirming kind of what I suspected but couldn't quite put my finger on!

Hisham
aroberts
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 11 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, May 09, 2014 - 02:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hisham

I think it is a reference to the onset of autumn/winter, and the need to get motivated. In the States the big sign that summer (and carefree times) are over is when the leaves of the deciduous trees (oaks, maples, etc) start turning from green to yellow to red-brown, before they fall off for the winter. Getting "wind in your hair" means hit the road and do some travelling. The whole meaning is effectively "get yourself in gear and do something - time's running out!" or similar.

One curious phenomenon in the States is the "Leafies" who take a few weeks in the autumn to tour the Appelachian mountains from north to south, following the "wave" of colour change as the cold air of autumn gets to the north before it reaches the south. The Blue Ridge Parkway is the perfect road for such "timber tourism"...

When I first read the comment about leaves turning, I thought exactly this. When I used to have a motorcycle I made sure that I got lots of good rides in before the autumn chill and winter weather came (because those are not so fun when riding long distances).