_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Best modeling mag?
blank
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 190 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 10:55 PM UTC
What magazine out there, aside from Finescale Modeler, do you guys think is a good modeling source?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:20 PM UTC
Hi. For the armor fan I don't think you can beat Military Miniatures in Review. Very nice and well put together.

Take care, sgirty
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:24 PM UTC
military in scale is quite good too I'm starting to perfer it over Mil modelling as they are doing a mixture off ootb and A/m kits ect.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:25 PM UTC
I must admit, I'm gradually getting a little disillusioned by some of the modelling mags. Military Modelling still remains the same, if you are interested in figures and armour it still remains useful. Hasn't really reinvented itself much though for me its still the best.... FSM, which I buy whenever I can, still has the occasional useful article although it still strikes me as a magazine firmly stuck in the past. The production quality is not of the best, many of the pics come across as 'muddy'. Military Modelcraft International is frankly poor (exception was Roo's article in the current issue), frankly badly done models, an editorial style which is amateurish in the extreme. It's best point is its review pages... Here in Spain, there is one monthly magazine, EuroModellismo, which is so general, it is useless whether you be armour modeller, figure modeller or whatever. It is better produced than any of the other mags though, the quality of pics, are light years ahead of anything else. As I principally buy magazines for the adverts, EM isn't even much use for this either... The quarterly magazine/monograph Xtreme Modelling, on the other hand is excellent, it only covers armour and dios. It does suffer from a surfeit of articles on German Armour though...Jim

crossbow
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
entire network: 1,387 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:35 PM UTC
If you master the French language, then Steel Masters is a very good magazine.

Kris
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 236 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 11:44 PM UTC
Tamiya Modelling Magazine, excellent reviews, photos, all subjects from space to armor. Very readible because of the clear layout.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC
It depends on what you are looking for at what level of skill and in what language.

I only read and type in English, so that limits me somewhat.
I like look of Steelmasters, but can't read it. Model Grafix and the armor vers in Japanese as well.

I see an occasional issue of the Military modeling mag from England, but it's not cheap here. I haven't read the Tamiya magazine.

I have subscriptions to MMiR, FSM, AFV Modeler and Boresight (AMPS member magazine in the states)

I'll probably drop AFV Modeler. It favors an artistic style of finishing I am not a fan of, the translations to english are sometimes somewhat clunky, and I do not need 2-part articles with 40+pictures each on finishing WWII Soviet armor. They do not do great job of covering new releases either.
They do have good photography and do cover most armor subjects well

FSM is a good general mix of subjects for a variet of entry level and middle advanced builders. The reivews are ok, and I like pages of pictures of other people's models.

Boresight has had a spotty production record, decent reviews but that has been made into an issue lately, lets not go there. The articles are all by non-professional writers, ie members so the variety and quality fluctuates. I'll keep that one.

MMiR is aimed at the high-end, high-tech aftermarket crowd. If anything, they put too much aftermarket onto the kits in the articles!
They have the best preview/review section and a good figure section.
I'd like to see them have more closer to basic builds but that's my top dog armor magazine.

I've let my US IPMS subscription lapse 8-10 yrs ago. The net and now sites like this have taken it's place and surpassed anything it ever did for me. I am not interested in national level organizational politics or rule wrangling.

My US$0.02 before whopping upper-class tax cut..
oh wait, I don't GET a tax cut..
US$0.01 then..
Mike
kglack56
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 74 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:58 AM UTC
Don't know about you guys...but since I started using this site as a homepage, I quit buying magazines...if I need to know something, it's here, or, will be soon enough for me to use it.

And with the money i've saved from not buying them, I joined the "A" team and bought some models.

huh...how bout' that.

Twig
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 167 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:41 AM UTC
I regularly read MMIR, TMMI, AFV Modeller, Military Modelling, Military in Scale, FSM and Millitary Modelcraft. My favorite has to be AFV Modeller as I like to see very well described and detailed projects covered in great depth. True AFV does not cover much new stuff but the mag is more about quality work than the hottest releases. MMIR is ok but all the black and white printing I think is poor. FSM I find is patchy, some issues are superb while some are very poor - their standard varies a great deal. In general though if it is on the shelf I will buy it - finding time to read it is another matter!

Lee
ptruhe
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 2,092 Posts
KitMaker Network: 438 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 04:54 AM UTC
It's hard to get most of the mags here in Dallas without a subscription and I think some issues are a complete miss for non-WWII modellers. But I always check out the Military in Scale to see what the month has to offer. Great 1:1 scale photo articles and builds.

Paul
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:20 AM UTC
i like Military Miniatures in Review. its the best,
no planes no cars no bull crap,
just armor and figures
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I must admit, I'm gradually getting a little disillusioned by some of the modelling mags.

Same here! I have been buying Military modelling for the last 3 years and have gotten pretty fed up with how many pages of advertisements there is. Before euromilitaire there must be four pages every issue. Have to agree that it has gotten a little tired!? I pick up occasional MMIR, MMI, MMIS and FSM when I see them but cant stand seeing pictures of builds etc. in black and white. I have no interest in aircraft and all these magazines cost quite a bit extra in sweden.
I have decided to also slow down on buying magazines and only pick up one with articles on subjects i have at home to build.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 256 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 12:23 PM UTC
I'll pick up any magazine when it has some thing that interests me . I do however subscribe to MMiR. I don't think any other of the MAgazines brings together articles ,reviews and whats new as well as they do.

Shiryon
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 06:12 PM UTC
For armor, I like MMiR the best, AFV modeller second and Xtreme Modelling third. For aircraft, I like SAMI the best
capnjock
NoMercy
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 111 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 03:16 PM UTC
I like MMIR and AFV Modeler.
Captain94
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 239 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 06:10 PM UTC
MMIR, Tamiya Model Mag, FSM and Scale Aviation Modeller for plastic.

For Trains..... Timber Times and Narrow Gage & Short Line Gazette are all good for narrow gage logging and mining railroads.

I refer to all of the above as well as this web site for reference.

StukeSowle
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 599 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 06:33 PM UTC
I have read just about all of them, and it really depends on what you are looking for.

In my opinion, AFV Modeller is starting to come out in the lead. Yeah it's spendy, and sometimes has some long articles, but I think it is actually improving on that. Recently there have been little one, two and three page articles on how to bend PE, make Aber clasps, and face painting made easy. These articles are very informative and easy to follow. In addition, the photography is top-notch.

Secondly I have to go with TMMI. Great vareity of subjects, some of the work is top notch as well. However, it has a bit of everything and if you aren't interested in that, then stay away. Again though, they have some real useful "tech tips".

Beyond that they all kinda mix together. I did pick up a copy of "Model", a new magazine from France, but printed in English. Great work in it, very detailed coverage. Nearly on par with AFV Modeller. I am eagerly awaiting my first issue of Extreme Modelling as well. As for MMiR, a good mag for upcoming releases, but I don't like the black and white, and I find that they have too many all-resin kits that I will never pick up. Military in Scale and Military Modelling are average, sometimes with nice builds and articles. Finally, and not to slight them, comes FSM. A fine publication, but very general. But of course the cheapest!

Just my two cents,
Stuke
RotorHead67
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,174 Posts
KitMaker Network: 161 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 06:48 PM UTC
Favorite Mag:
Well I have a subscription to FSM and have had since its inception. Wont miss an issue, but we wont talk about the mailing issue. %&#*%$^ As for Armor you cant beat MMIR
even tho, it's a lot of B/W photos, you still get to see what your money is getting you. AND ITS
in ENGLISH. Imagine that. !! I get Scale Auto for my 4 wheel fix, and an Occassional Military
in Scale,Military Modelcraft, and Scale Model International , DAMN those british pounds, never know how much it really is and I can never find it here in the USA anyway.
Jakkels
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 19 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:54 PM UTC
I have to go for Tamiya Model Mag. I have been a subscriber for years now. There are far fewer addas than FSM, the layout is clear and the editor Marcus Nicols has a decent sense of humour!

There are handy tech-tips, models from motor bikes through aircraft & armour to space craft. reasonably priced too. And, they are surprisingly (being a Tamiya mag) unbiased in reviews about other manufacturers kits. They even take Tamiya to task occasionally.

Probably the best all-round model mag available in the UK. Well worth it IMHO
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 30, 2003 - 09:55 PM UTC
the only thing I've found wrong with the Tamiya mag recently is the part were they showed you how to paint wheels ect It's now a case of look what we have been given for free and are using the issues with the compressor/airbrush and spray booth spring to mind and bearing in mind that they are out of reach of most modellers budgets.
I also agree that Military modellling is becoming state same people doing the articles month after month not that I'm slagging off their work but a more varied bunch of article writers might freshen it up a little even the letters pages is very dull and formal. it does really need to have a look at its self to bring it into the 21st century as most mags have now clicked that people are comming back into the hobby after a length of time away or for the 1st time and need to do some back to basics articles form time to time. But the one thing that PISSES ME OFF IS WHEN YOU GET TO AN INTERESTING PEICE ABOUT PAINTING AND THE USUAL IS PAINTED IN MY USUAL STYLE WELL WHAT IS IT! I've just picked up the mag for the 1st time! also I tend to find that some of the article writers in some mags dont really like to share their styles of painting ect in case you get better tthan them which I find very child like
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 02:33 AM UTC
its this simple. while you,re reading this (whole site) you don,t need any magazines,this site covers all modelling,has live feedback, and is constantly updated BY US! any questions or problems i have are answerd in 24 hours,ive taken part in a campaign,learned to post pics,had a laugh,had a gripe,and raised my modelling standard.you can never read all the stuff on here so its always fresh
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 - 10:47 AM UTC
I read MMIR followed by FSM,and AFV modeller.There is always at least 1 article in each which I find useful.
But I only save the MMIR's.
MEBM
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,055 Posts
KitMaker Network: 428 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 04:17 AM UTC
Well, this isn't a modeling magazine, but World War II is a good magazine if your looking for a lot of good reference photos, as is also WWII HISTORY. Thanks for your time.
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 05:36 AM UTC
for my two cents it is MMiR and SteelMasters, they stick with the essentials of model building and cut out the garbage of a lot of military model magazines.

Chris
Tankera1
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 138 Posts
Posted: Thursday, January 01, 2004 - 06:05 AM UTC
I have had to cut back some, I noticed the other day that I had about $50 worth of magazines in my arms as I went to the check-out counter. The good ones are running about $10 each at my bookstore.
 _GOTOTOP