_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Best HobbyShop in Seoul
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
entire network: 2,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 124 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 06:50 AM UTC
Dear All

I Will be in Seoul next week and i would like to know what is the best LHS there.
Loaded with HobbyFan reference and other exotic AM stuff, impossible to find in Europe

Thanks in advance

seb
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 06:59 AM UTC
I've been to two places in Seoul. The one on the (7th?) floor of the Electric Mall near Yongsan is not bad. However, if you can ask around, the one BETWEEN the mall and the Camp Kim, the Spec Ops base, (not far from the Korean War Museum) is FULL of new kits and supplies Not sure about references, but my guess is that they have them too. I know this is pretty vague, but if you are interested in going there I can give you specific directions from the museum, which you will definitely want to visit.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 07:19 AM UTC
Ah, my last trip to Seoul was 2006, Don't know if these guys are still around. I stopped in at the hobby shop in the COEX shopping mall, Korean World Trade tower plaza. Mostly Academy kits, at Korean prices (not the 2X markup that MRC adds). Good selection of Tayima enamels (back then). Lots of Gundam and Gundam paint pens.

IIRC the other one was near the Samgakji Metro Station. It had a broad range of kits, including Trumpeter. Google Seoul being what it is, I can't see if it's still there. It was on the 2nd or 3rd floor of a building near the Metro exit (there are 6 exits near by). Gino (HeavyArty) clued me into these guys way back then.

Oh oh, the Google suggests that COEX may be closed for
renovations....

Just saw another post, we may be talking about the same shop, not to far from the museum (the museum has a B-52, should be easy to spot on google maps).
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 02:50 PM UTC
We're talking about the same one. It ws indeed on the 7th floor, in the I Park Mall, in the Electronics Market District.

http://cuteinkorea.com/gundam-base/

Disregard the name of the site and go to it. Scroll down to see the non-Gundam stuff.

Even so, I would still visit the OTHER one, about halfway between the mall and Camp Kim, on the same side of the road as Camp Kim (look for the USO sign outside of Camp Kim.) The other shop is literally so full of kits my shoulders were bumping them as I walked through the aisles.
md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 06:27 PM UTC
Actually I meant the one near the Samgakji station. The first time I went there I got there after 3 PM and they were closed. So to kill some time I walked from there, past the War memorial, Korean Department of Defense and on over to Itaewon Market. Don't know about Camp Kim. Never saw the big Gundam shop.

That shop was all plastic, kits piled on top of each other, not much in the way of shelving. I recall lots of Tamiya and Gunze accessories. I think I managed to score the Trumpeter XF-107 there.
seb43
Visit this Community
Paris, France
entire network: 2,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 124 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - 07:28 PM UTC
Thanks a lot guys
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 03:50 AM UTC
I think the other shop I mean is the one Mark is talking about. Once I got a satellite view of the Museum, I was able to "walk"
myself right to it. Here it is:

And a close up shows it is indeed stacked high with kits:

You can see the phone number and address.

I would also recommend Seongnam. It's not far from Seoul, and has another huge mall with a few hobby shops in it. I cannot remember the name of it, but it's not far from the Korean Special Warfare Center, right by highway 100. There's a cool little village outside the back gate of the base where you can hike up to Sueojangdae Command Post, which offers a nice view of the city. Lots of little hole in the wall BBQ joints on the trail leading up the mountain. And stay away from the green bottled soju. Even Koreans don't know what the hell is in them.

View of command post:

md72
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - 05:18 AM UTC
Hobby Park sounds familiar, but it has been 7 years. Things can change.

I tracked back to my original quest back in 2006. Gino provied the directions to Samgakji and mentioned that there were some others near Yongsan

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/68108#571186
 _GOTOTOP