_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Airbrush and Compressor - on a budget!
Commontsar
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2014 - 02:05 PM UTC
So I have £100 of Amazon vouchers to spend to get myself a compressor and airbrush. Money is super tight right now due to my job situation being a bit of a mess and my partner not being able to spare all that much.

So really I'm looking at getting a compressor and airbrush.

I saw this kit : http://www.amazon.co.uk/FoxHunter-KMS-Airbrush-Compressor-Airbrushes/dp/B0054Q384A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394935496&sr=8-2&keywords=foxhunter+airbrush

I know the airbrushes will be below average, but they'll be alright for doing some light camo work and shading I imagine - just have to brush detail.

I will try and get the Neo for Iwata if I find the experiance as great as it looks...

Does that seem alright? The compressor seems decent for a first one and I've seen a few alright reviews of it.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 12:15 AM UTC
That is not a bad starter brush. I used the siphon feed, as my first. However, it does not compare to name brand brushes. The price is great, for the compressor. The biggest problem I had was that the color cup was not as secure as it could be. Best I remember, the cup fell out ten times. I would stick with the side feed brush and use the other as back up. I would recommend you buy a big name brush asap. You will be amazed by the difference it makes. I highly recommend Badger. Then, Iwata. The Badger Sotar 2020 and Renegade Chrome are both excellent brushes. The HP-C+ from Iwata is great for covering larger areas(base coat, primer, filters). These are all double-action airbrushes(as is the set you are looking at), which means better paint control.
Commontsar
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 7 Posts
Posted: Sunday, March 16, 2014 - 04:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That is not a bad starter brush. I used the siphon feed, as my first. However, it does not compare to name brand brushes. The price is great, for the compressor. The biggest problem I had was that the color cup was not as secure as it could be. Best I remember, the cup fell out ten times. I would stick with the side feed brush and use the other as back up. I would recommend you buy a big name brush asap. You will be amazed by the difference it makes. I highly recommend Badger. Then, Iwata. The Badger Sotar 2020 and Renegade Chrome are both excellent brushes. The HP-C+ from Iwata is great for covering larger areas(base coat, primer, filters). These are all double-action airbrushes(as is the set you are looking at), which means better paint control.

I am going to get he Iwata Neo purely because I can't afford anything else right now (jobs in my area have 100+ apps each..so getting a full time job instead of my rubbish part time one is a challenge to say the least). Its essentially free beacause I hae vouchers. But i'm going to run the free airbrushes into he ground before I buy a new one. I still enjoy hand painting a lot anyway
AFVFan
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,980 Posts
KitMaker Network: 409 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2014 - 12:20 AM UTC
If possible, try to get a gravity fed brush, rather than a siphon feed (color cup on top, not hanging underneath). They take less air pressure to run making them better for detailing. Dual action would be preferred over single. Again, it's a matter of control.

As a cheap alternative to buying a second brush, consider just picking up a different needle and tip. Most of the lesser expensive ones come set up with a medium. By adding a fine, you expand the range of the brush. Changeover only takes a minute or two in most models.
 _GOTOTOP