_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Italeri BT-5 Replacement Tracks
rdleis
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 06:04 AM UTC
I recently purchased an Italeri BT-5 Soviet Tank at a garage sale. I was pretty excited until I got home and, on further inspection realized the kit is missing tracks for one side of the vehicle! Does anyone have any suggestions as to where/how to aquire replacements of some sort? Any help is appreciated.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:19 AM UTC
What are you looking for . Plastic , metal ,DS and what price range . There's a lot out there . From inexpensive to ridiculous . Narrow the search . On eBay fruil Atl 74 30 bucks plus 12 bucks shipping . That's from Poland . Modelkasten SK 62 from Australia 28 bucks plus 10 bucks shipping . Bronco 3564 but that's for a bt 7 if it will fit that's the cheapest for 16 bucks and 7 shipping . Take your pick . Anybody will the bt7 tracks fit the bt 5 ?
rdleis
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 55 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 08:29 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply, you have an excellent point! I was thinking about replacements that match the kit, which are plastic links. I wouldn't mind the rubber band type that Tamiya probably uses on their new BT-7, but in anycase, I don't particularly want to spend a boat load of money on a kit I picked up on the cheap.
Quasimofo
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 105 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 09:43 AM UTC
Another option for the über el-cheapo route is to not use any tracks at all. The BT-5 had the ability to have the rear road wheels to be powered by a chain from the drive sprocket and run along on the road wheels with no tracks. In this mode, the tracks were usually put up on the fenders while the tank zipped along on its road wheels.

I'm guessing the Italeri kit is a re-pop of the Zvezda BT-5. I built the Zvezda boxing last year...it was a pretty challenging little kit fit-wise, but very fun to build. I did mine up as a Spanish Civil War tank, and learned about the trackless running gear option while doing some research.

I know you don't want to spend too much more money, but I highly recommend the Eduard BT-5 detail set for this kit...especially for the rear engine grille.
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 12, 2014 - 12:30 PM UTC
Here's another one Aber 35A005 , PE to make workable tracks for the BT 5 13 bucks and 4 shipping try whitecathobby on eBay . Now this would be interesting it should be labor intensive . If you go this route you got to show photos . Go for it .
 _GOTOTOP