_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Tracks for a King Tiger
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 403 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 07:12 AM UTC
Greetings all,

Finally after many years of wait bought my first King Tiger;
Dragon #6354 Battle of the Bulge, off this site's FS/FT forum.

UNFORTUNATELY the person who sold me this kit stated that it was complete--not telling me that a few small bits (which I can replace) AND THE TRACKS were NOT included.
--Greatly disappointed in him.

So now I need to find some tracks.
This kit comes with the 9 tooth drive sprocket, will the Tamiya or the Hobbyboss set work?
I figure the HBs will cost me $15-20 and the Tamiya about $25

I'm between jobs right now so dropping $35-45 on a metal set and then needing to purchase the stain for them, isn't all that practical.

Unless there is someone with a set of vinyl one piece battle-width tracks they're willing to part with for a reasonable price.

Many thanks.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 08:51 AM UTC
The experten will chime in, but if I recall correctly you need the two-part tracks as in the Tamiya indy-link set, where alternating links are "male" & "female" ended for the 9-tooth sprocket. The HB tracks are all identical links for the 18-tooth sprocket, which I thought was a later development. (If you build it as a late KT, the HB set also includes replacement sprocket teeth on the sprues! PITA to glue them on, but turns a 9-tooth into an 18-tooth...)

I have a set of Tamiya vinyl "rubber band" tracks of the 9-tooth design (from kit 164) that I could give you, but they aren't anywhere as nice as indy-links (and may not fit the Dragon kit? Never tried...). And as it'd cost me a couple bucks to post them across the Pond, you'd be under a solemn obligation to do a "solid" for another modeller as & when the opportunity arises...
corsair924
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 403 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2014 - 12:42 PM UTC
Thank you sir,

I was wondering how these two kits played out.
So now I'm going to have to consider:
While I'm trying to economize and not as much of a purist (OCD) as some, I am more drawn to the Panzer '46 relm so a later track is better.
If you don't mind I'll hold your very generous offer for a fortnight.
BTW-I insist on paying for the shipping costs, but would still follow the suggestion to 'pay it forward'

Thank you.
 _GOTOTOP