Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
10 Biggest Air Forces in the World
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 7,772 Posts
KitMaker Network: 802 Posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2014 - 09:36 AM UTC
This is an interesting list sure to provoke contemplation.

http://www.therichest.com/rich-list/the-top-10-largest-combat-air-forces-in-the-world/?utm_source=OT-US&utm_medium=Content-Distribution&utm_campaign=OT-US
Toad-In-The-Hole
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 01:59 AM UTC
I'm surprised Turkey's airforce made the list and Israel's didn't. I would have put money on Israel's air force making the list.

Also, this list tells me that the British government need to stop penny pinching and invest in a larger number of aircraft for the RAF and Royal Navy?

Granted, this list doesn't take into account technology and training but still... just having a 100 or so Typhoons and a similar number of Tornadoes isn't that great. Especially since they've only ordered around 40 F-35's so far and they're meant to replace the Tornado aren't they?

I'd like to see them follow through with that plan to use the Atlas and similar aircraft as long-range, no penetration missile launchers. I thought that idea sounded very interesting.
SDavies
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 979 Posts
KitMaker Network: 18 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 13, 2014 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm surprised Turkey's airforce made the list and Israel's didn't. I would have put money on Israel's air force making the list.

Also, this list tells me that the British government need to stop penny pinching and invest in a larger number of aircraft for the RAF and Royal Navy?

Granted, this list doesn't take into account technology and training but still... just having a 100 or so Typhoons and a similar number of Tornadoes isn't that great. Especially since they've only ordered around 40 F-35's so far and they're meant to replace the Tornado aren't they?

I'd like to see them follow through with that plan to use the Atlas and similar aircraft as long-range, no penetration missile launchers. I thought that idea sounded very interesting.

Hello,

The UK military is more committed to making a new generation of ballistic missile Submarine's and their SLBM's rather than providing useful things like boots, ammunition, tanks and aircraft to its troops at a cost of something like £20billion*(estimated)

The UK is afterall spending £5 billion on two aircraft carriers that will have no aircraft for years and one of which will be immediately mothballed off the production line.

The F35 is a problem aircraft and will probably never enter widespread combat service as expected as the airframe will never be capable of delivering all the functionality expected of it. Youtube is full of documentaries on the limitations of the aircraft. Current generations of ex-Soviet aircraft can run rings around it.