_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Club Project and Impulse Buying
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 05:28 AM UTC
I went into my local hobby shop to get some ideas. My IPMS chapter decided to do a helicopter for the club's project. After having a hard time agreeing as to what scale and type of helicopter to build, someone came up with a superb BFO...why not build any helicopter you wish? OK, so I was looking for a helicopter to build, or rather trying to see what's out there and get an idea.

I think 1/72 scale is too small for the detail I am used to doing. That leaves 1/48, 1/32 and 1/35, the last two being fairly limited in selection (although there are several good choices in 1/35). Of course, I do not want to bite off more than I can chew, which I think anything in 1/35 bigger than an OH-6 or OH-58 airframe would probably be too big of a project. I would like to make it a US Army bird, but any US service aircraft would probably be OK (mainly a reference thing). I did see a Trumpeter 1/48 USCG Dolphin(?) that looked promising as well as both an Italeri 1/48 Comanche and a Revell of Germany Comanche (I bet the store clerk they were probably the same kit). All three kits were in the $22 range.

Any way, I saw a kit of Tony Schumacher "U.S. Army" Top Fuel Dragster by Revell-Monogram and figured it would go well with my Desert Storm Army NASCAR. Of course, I buy that kit...Anyone here remember the old Testors Stingbat Stealth Helicopter? I did find one of those in my stash and guess what I'm going to build for the club project? At least with that kit, no one can tell me I missed the VHF/UHF/VH1 cable antenna and put the IRR IFF doohicky on the wrong side for a kit in those markings
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 07:26 AM UTC
Sorry this is off topic. You mentioned a desert storm nascar? Is this a kit or a Sabot specail? I actually collect some die cast metal nascar cars in the 1/24 scale range. For some reason I have never built one, probably because I love military equipment to much and want to spend what time I have on that. Anyway, let me know if this is an actual kit because if it is, I would like to build it.

Good luck with the chopper. I have a few kits that I am dying to get to (1st my newly arived academy tow hummer, then my M-110a2, and then a training ground M1a2 that epi has been a big help with along with the hummer, and then I would like to try a chopper) I am thinking of a balckhawk or pavehawk for my first one. I personaly consider choppers "flying armor" and not aircraft. Anyway, good luck with it. And let me know where I can find a picture of that desert storm nascar. Come to think of it, I have only seen one of your models, the cool PT cruiser. Am I the only one that would like to see more of Sabot's work? If I have missed some more on the site let me know where to find them. I would like to see the starwars stuff also, whatever you have.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 07:27 AM UTC
It might take too long to make, but a scene of a helicopter dropping troops into a hot LZ in Vietnam would be something.

Nic
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry this is off topic. You mentioned a desert storm nascar?

Yes, apparently the Army sponsored Alan Kulwicki (who I recently found out died a decade ago). The decals are from JMJ and the kit is a 1990 or 1991 Ford Thunderbird. I started with the Revell Monogram #7 Exide Thunderbird, but the body was warped and the right side of the mold must have slipped because it was uneven. I then found the AMT/Ertl #7 Zerex Thunderbird and it looks to be a better detailed kit. I also picked up some Detail Master Stock Car Grill PE and The Model Car Garage Stock Car Window Clips PE to help detail out the kit along with some aftermarket generic stock car decals (sponsor, Ford, etc.). I believe you gave me the Goodyear tires since the original Exide car came with Hoosier tires.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 09:47 AM UTC
I've got a "cottage" mint kit of his car along w/ another set of decals. I was a Huge Kulwicki fan

Matt
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've got a "cottage" mint kit of his car along w/ another set of decals.

What's a cottage mint kit? I know just about nothing about him or stock car racing. I did pick up an MBI Ford, Lincoln & Mercury Stock Cars book that was in a clearance rack at a Walden Books. It has 2 page spread of the car in action, but most importantly, a lot of shots of car interiors and engine detail.
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 835 Posts
KitMaker Network: 350 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 10:44 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. I may have to do some digging and see if I can come up with the decals and a kit from that time period. Do you know if the decals are still for sale anywhere?
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, June 08, 2002 - 08:59 PM UTC
They are long out of production, but I found some via posting on RMS. I've seen them on eBay from time to time and finding an early 90s T-bird was real easy on eBay.
 _GOTOTOP