_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Model Stash
plasticman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hi,

Could someone explain to me about model stashing. I see 100's if not 1,000's of unbuilt kits in someones basement (youtube). Infact, most are still in there wrappers, sitting on there shelves for years. I dont see the logic, yes I have about 5 kits that are on the build list but thats it.I refuse to buy anymore until I start working on the ones that I have. I have seen some collections where it took up the whole house and in no way this guy was going to finish them all......
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 08:54 AM UTC
Yep Sean, I am one of those guys. While my stash is in the "low" 100's I have come to realize that I'll never get them done. On top of everything else when I complete a kit I put it in a diorama. So one day soon I am going to list 200 kits for sale here. I hate to do it as I have sold some kits to a good member here at Armorama. It almost feels like losing a loved one every time I go to the Post Office.
My reason for having such a stash is that the owner of my LHS got very sick and while he was hospitalized his wife & kids had a HUGE fire sale. I bought kits at DEEP discounts. I even got a discount for the volume of kits I bought on top of the sale. Coupled with the fact that there wouldn't be a Hobby shop that specialized in Armor kits anymore and a big tax return. I blew the whole return on kits.
Well, that's why my stash got so large. I wouldn't mind hearing stories how other members stashes got so large.
Tom
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 09:08 AM UTC
collecting anything, bottles, stamps, hummel figurines, butterflies, postcards, you name it, -model airplane kits - is a perfectly acceptable past time. I could show you my "stash" of books for another example, and I confess I buy new ones before Ive read all the ones I already own.
Model kits are better than most of those collectable things insofar as they can also be used in the related hobby of model building.
plasticman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 152 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 11:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the responses guys
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 1,523 Posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2014 - 06:07 PM UTC
Two words!

IMPULSE and ADDICTION!!!!
jccraemer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 462 Posts
KitMaker Network: 63 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:06 AM UTC
Sean, my stash is well over 200 mostly figures, i currently build 3 to 4 a year depending on scale, number of figures in kit. It started out by buying a kit for a upcoming build, or a review, seeing it online. buy a few kits after driving2 1/2hrs one way to lhs. But, those d**n raffles and vendors at model shows. Plus i love modeling.
ltb073
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 3,662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 319 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 12:43 AM UTC
For me my stash is not that huge Mabel 40 kits with another 15 figures. I build about 20 kits a year so nothing really stays around too long. If I see something that interests me at a good price I buy it and if someone starts a campaign that I like but don't have a kit for I will go shopping
And guys hen Ivanhoe list his kits for sale I will be looking again as I have done some deals with him in the past he's a good guy to deal with
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 350 Posts
KitMaker Network: 179 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 01:23 AM UTC
I buy kits that I like the look of. My stash is currently 120 kits plus aftermarket and figures. While I'm working full time, I figure I have the income to buy what I'm interested in. And...HOPEFULLY...build some day when I have more time. I don't think I'll let my stash grow too much more and I did recently sell a few kits on ebay. And took the cash and bought some photo-etch and resins aftermarket items as well as a few books.
But it is kind of fun every once in a while to wander/go through my stash as it is my own private hobby shop.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

Could someone explain to me about model stashing. I see 100's if not 1,000's of unbuilt kits in someones basement (youtube). Infact, most are still in there wrappers, sitting on there shelves for years. I dont see the logic, yes I have about 5 kits that are on the build list but thats it.I refuse to buy anymore until I start working on the ones that I have. I have seen some collections where it took up the whole house and in no way this guy was going to finish them all......

I agree with you,I only stash about 25-30 kits.You need to buy some kits because they do go out of production,or go up in price,but i agree,I see no sense in having hundreds or even thousands of kits on hand,but just my opinion
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 04:42 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words Sal.
If anybody is looking for anything shoot me a PM maybe I have or maybe not. It never hurts to ask.
A good weekend all !
Tom
noddy927
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,273 Posts
KitMaker Network: 149 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 07:09 AM UTC
My stash is maybe just over 100 (I don't count) If I see a model I like I buy it, and think about how would present it, on it's own in a dio etc. Since I have been a member on Kitmaker I have built alot more kits, I dont collect them as such, as I aim to build them. If I get to the point I have 1000s though I just hope I live to be 150 years old to finish them all.

Pete
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2014 - 08:32 AM UTC
I pick up bits and pieces of am parts on sale for kits I want to build. Sometimes, I find the kit on sale and go from there. Right now, I only have some 15 un-started kits in my stash. However, I buy on a very limited budget(hence watching for deals).
 _GOTOTOP