History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
ww2 leaders?
mlb63
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 199 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 09:17 AM UTC
was just wondering which leader meddled the least in military affairs?i may be wrong but i think its Roosevelt right?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 03:49 PM UTC
Intriguing question. My two cents. The only ones who meddled to the detriment of their nations were Stalin and Hitler. I believe Roosevelt and Churchill influenced military actions and were wise enough to back off when they got in over their heads. I am ready to hear others views on that statement. If I had to chose someone who interfaced with their military in a very limited way, I would be left with Hirohito of Japan. Was he involved or a passive by stander?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 05:48 PM UTC
I think you are quite correct DJ. Hirohito didn't get involved very much, in fact, even though the military really ran the Japaese goverment, my impression was pretty much a hands off policy. I think local commaders pretty much ran their own shows with limited input/interference from the central government. Maybe because they all acted the same.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 09:09 AM UTC
I can only think of one leader that really didn't interfer with Military Affairs was Lincoln. He may have asked what the Generals had in mind, but basically he just gave them one task. Defeat the South. He didn't care how they did it just do it. The only time he would interfer was to replace A Commanding General. If I remember correctly. Everyone and their brother wanted Grant out for his drinking, but Lincoln saw him for the Commander he was.
As for WWII leaders. I got to go with Blaster and say Hirahito. Everything that was done was done in the name of the Emperor, but I was the Commanders that met and would come up with the plans.
Just my 2 cents
Paul
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 09:40 AM UTC
Seems we have a degree of agreement on Hirothito. Were we correct in not trying him as a war criminal after the war?
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 01:55 PM UTC
After watching the History Channels show about Wake Island. It was stated that it was Hirohito that spared the lives of the Marines that were captured for just that reason.
Plus I think if we did try him McArthur may have had a more difficult time stabilizing the country after the surrender. I think we needed him there in Japan more than was let on.
Just a thought though.
Paul
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 20, 2003 - 04:59 PM UTC
Agree on Hirohito as a stabilizing symbolic force within Japan. I also believe that WW II leaders were most influenced by the results of WW I leaders giving the military a virtual free hand. They were not about to let that happen again.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
entire network: 3,271 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 06:56 PM UTC
Chiang Kai Shek was pretty much in the military stuff, well, he was one of the earliest military commanders after the republican revolution, so I guess he was into military. Actually his two love was military and intelligence.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 03:08 AM UTC
I guess we should bring up, who was the most effective political leader?
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Agree on Hirohito as a stabilizing symbolic force within Japan. I also believe that WW II leaders were most influenced by the results of WW I leaders giving the military a virtual free hand. They were not about to let that happen again.

MacArthur knew that the Japanese Emperor is the symbol of the state and highly revered by the Japanese people. He sees him as a symbol of stability and he serverd a purpose as he tried to rebuild Japan. However, when they drew up a new constitution for Japan in 1947, they made sure the Emperor would never have any political power whatsoever. He is only a legitimizer.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

was just wondering which leader meddled the least in military affairs?i may be wrong but i think its Roosevelt right?

FDR and Churchill knew the limnits of their power and influence as heads of government. They are blessed with very brilliant and competent generals and admirals who won the wars. Like what was mentioned, they gave their armies one goal: to defeat the "evils" and they made sure their armed forces got all the support they will ever need (100%).

I also agree that Hitler had the mightiest armed forces ever but his ego got the better of him. He hardly listens to his generals who are wiser than him. He seems to be allergic to the word "defeat" and retreat" Ditto with Stalin. This is evidenced by the presence of political officers (SS and KGB) among their troops.

As for Mussolini, he's all bluster but no brawn to back him up. He seemed to have lost touch with reality. His armies are nowhere near the Roman legions of the Caesars.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 30, 2004 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Chiang Kai Shek was pretty much in the military stuff, well, he was one of the earliest military commanders after the republican revolution, so I guess he was into military. Actually his two love was military and intelligence.

The irony behind it was that he was trained by both the Russians (Soviets) and the Japanese.

Mao was also a very effective commander for a guerilla army. His secret is to win the side of the civilian population which was the source of his support against the Japanese.