Place your announcements here please.
Comparing stash management sites
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:02 AM UTC
I wrote a condensed version of this post elsewhere, but I thought it would be of use here. This is a mini-comparison review of Scalemates ( http://www.scalemates.com/ ) and My Hobby Info ( http://www.myhobbyinfo.com/ ). I've tried both sites, and there are aspects of both that I like and dislike when it comes to managing my stash (which is around 300 kits and over 1,000 AM items). For now, I'll keep my main stash listing in a LibreOffice database, but will consider duplicating it on MHI or SM for backup purposes.

Scalemates:

What I like:
Some aspects of its search engine: I uploaded nearly all of my stash into Scalemates because I found its search engine fairly easy to use and its database very extensive--it was only missing one of my kits. I usually search by product number, and I had no problems finding the exact kit--often it would be either the only hit or one of a handful of hits.

The size of its kit and AM database: I also love the very large AM database Scalemates has--it's handy for when you need to find out if there are related products.

The ease of adding items to the stash: I've found the actual adding of items to the stash almost as easy as with MHI (but not quite)--you click on the green bar next to a search hit, click on stash, and click on add. You can then search again, right from the same window--this makes the process of adding to the stash very quick.

Projects: I also like the ability to create projects that include a kit (or more!) and several AM items.

The ability to add products to the database yourself: Finally, I like the ability to add new kits and AM items--this allows the database to grow quickly (and you can correct items that aren't quite right).

What I dislike
Inability to link AM to kits: I've also uploaded some of my AM products, but I don't like that I can't assign AM products to a specific kit; they just get dumped into your stash. SM tried to group them with the kit they belong to, but some AM items are universal, so they just get dumped into a category (often a counter-intuitive one, or one different from the one listing the kit they are intended for). I would like to be able to link AM items to a kit, like in MHI.

Inability to customize stash categories: I also dislike the inability to change the stash categories in SM or to create additional stash lists. SM decides for you where a kit goes, and some of those decisions are not exactly kosher (a Mini Cooper kit listed in the same category as a Bundeswehr Wolf kit and the RB Model US Antenna bases set?).

Inability to add price and purchase date: You also can't assign prices paid or dates of purchase to specific kits.

Some aspects of its search engine: One thing about its search engine I dislike is that it tries to give you suggestions, and as soon as its starts trying to do this, you can't hit Enter to start the search (at least on my browser)--this is irritating, as I either type fast, or have to use the mouse. Another drawback is that you can't filter results with fields, you have to do it by changing your search terms. This is clunky and can suck up time that is better spent on the bench.

The sometimes non-intuitive interface: SM is not always very intuitive. features are hidden in menus or sometimes jump around depending on what part of the site you're in. This is frustrating. For example, it's hard to figure out how to add a new item to a project, or how to get a project started.

My Hobby Info
What I like:
Stash list customization: Its ability to create different stash lists is a big one. You can have one stash list or several, and you get to pick where kits go.

Ability to assign AM items to a kit: I also love the ability to assign AM items to a kit. Big plus so you don't end up buying duplicates.

The ease of adding items to the stash: Adding kits once you have run a search is very easy--just click a button.

Some aspects of its search engine: The ability to narrow a search is useful, as is the ability to search your stash for a given kit.

Ability to add price and purchase date: Listing a price and date acquired is a cool and useful feature.

What I dislike
The size of its kit and AM database: I'm not enthused by the kit selection; it's OK, but it has limitations and is far smaller than SM.

The inability to add products to the database yourself: I also don't like that to add kits you have to request that they be added--you provide the same info on the kit that would end up in the listing in SM, in any case, so it would be more efficient (and the database would grow faster) if users could add kits on their own.

How completed kits are handled: I am not keen on how MHI handles completed kits--they go into a separate list (that's good), but they are not deleted from your stash or marked as completed in the main stash listing (that's not good). I would prefer that they either be removed from the stash listing and placed in the completed kits list, or marked as "completed" in the stash.

The lack of an AM database: I would like to see MHI add AM items to the database--this would be a big plus.

Minor niggles: While not a major issue, one added boost in functionality would be the ability to assign AM items to more than one kit (decal sets, for example, can often be used on several kits). Another one would be the ability to assign a status to items--"building," "part built," "for trade," etc. A projects feature would also be welcome, but more gravy than anything else.

I hope this is useful for you all who are looking for a stash management site!
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 1,558 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 12:17 PM UTC
I can't seem to edit my post, so here's one additional dislike of MHI I forgot to list:

Multiple tabs opened during stash adds: MHI opens a new window or tab every time you add a kit to your stash, which, for me, is annoying. In addition, once you add a kit, the search box is gone, so you either have to close the window/tab or click on the search link to bring it back up. It adds a step to the process of searching for the next kit to add and forces you to either close the window or, after adding numerous kits, to close a bunch of them at once.
 _GOTOTOP