_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello!
Toad-In-The-Hole
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 07:56 PM UTC
Hello!

I'm Jack, originally from England but currently living in Taiwan. I'm a beginner when it comes to model making. I have a lot of free time since my teaching job is only part time and, since I've always had an interest in military aircraft and military vehicles I figured I would give model making a try.

Started with a few VERY basic and cheap "clip together" tank models from a local convenience store. They were only 30p each and, a little rough looking but still, can't complain for 30p and was a good way to see whether I enjoyed making them without having to spend a chunk of cash (I obviously did enjoy it!)

Currently part-way through my first aircraft model. A Tamiya Sepecat Jaguar which I hope to complete later today.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 08:27 PM UTC
Welcome to the site and network Jack. I have to say it sounds as if you are already doing the right thing by tackling Tamiya kits as a starting point. I know that Tamiya does not have all the bells and whistles of some other manufacturers; they do however have the basic rights. Tamiya as a rule have complete and clear instructions which help to avoid issues on that side of the equation, and the parts are usually minimal with a good fit; that is particularly evident in their aircraft models.

This site and others on this network have a host of knowledge through our members and those members are always willing to help. With the help of our members and the various features and reviews on the sites I look forward to watching your models progress and your skills grow
Toad-In-The-Hole
Visit this Community
Taipei, Taiwan / 台灣
entire network: 44 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 08:42 PM UTC
I picked Tamiya completely at random since it was

A - One of the cheapest and I wanted a cheap one to start with since I knew I would screw up and...

B - The Jaguar is one of my favourite airplanes.

Yup, the kit is very easily explained so it's a good kit for a newbie like me. It's looking okay so far, apart from a bit near the front which (probably because of me been useless) hasn't fit together too well. Other than that, it's looking okay.

Think I'm going to get another Tamiya kit next. The same shop had a Tornado one that I'll probably end up getting.
1stjaeger
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
entire network: 1,744 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 22, 2014 - 09:04 PM UTC

Welcome Jack,

Wish you a lot of fun modelling!

Cheers

Romain

_GOTOTOP