_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Building the 1/72 type ix U boat
bikehead90
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 16 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 03:49 PM UTC
I have never had real luck with model ships. Always loved naval warfare -- almost as much as tanks -- American ships in particular. Unfortunately, the massive demand, as well as the discontinuation of the Revell 1/72 Gato has lead to over-inflated prices so far out of my price range, I could build an entire scale German armor battalion for the same price. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Revell-1-72-scale-WWII-Gato-Class-Submarine-U-S-Navy-with-Extras-/131119557656?pt=Model_Kit_US&hash=item1e8755ac18
So my best bet at building a big sub is the newest Revell of Germany type ix U boat. However I have never built something like this. I found a guy's build that no matter how impressive it is, it'll look half-assed. But I want to try. The biggest question is how do I make the ship look like it went through hell and back? By that I mean rust out the wazoo, and rust streaking. How do I simulate years of salt water exposure? Just any tips that you guys can share an armor modeler-convert. (Oh, and by the by, I kinda want to know about the rusting for the exhaust on my tank models too)
Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Thursday, February 20, 2014 - 06:37 PM UTC
Hi Stephen,

Welcome to Kitmaker, the best modelling site on the interwebs!

For tips and hints on building convincing ships, I recommend that you look into Model Shipwrights, Kitmaker's shipbuilding site. The fine people who call that site home will have all sorts of advice and inspiration for you.
 _GOTOTOP