Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Why I do not believe in the 8th Amendment
McKeever
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 246 Posts
KitMaker Network: 52 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 12:37 PM UTC
I have received a couple of phising fake paypal emails trying to dupe me into clicking on to some bogus link. Thankfully I am at least smart enough not to click on the links. But here is my idea--why do we, as liberal democracies, tolerate this sort of chicanery? As the killer from Seven articulates, we tolerate it morning noon and night.
I think fraudsters like these should face a sanction of horrible, unspeakable brutality, violence and torture. Think Reservoir Dog or Hostel grade violence, torture and mutilation--with the razors, and the petrol, and drills and saws and blow-torches!. It is called super-deterrence, and I want it! Show man a little inhumanity to man, to deter such things.
md72
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 4,950 Posts
KitMaker Network: 564 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 01:58 PM UTC
Well, you're in luck. Since most of these fraudsters operate outside of the US, outside of North America, and often outside of the western hemisphere, the 8th amendment doesn't apply.
McKeever
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 02:53 PM UTC
I know and please excuse if my offense causes to offense to anyone. I do believe that we are far too tolerant as a society AND that people, particullarly people like this, do respond to brutality.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2014 - 09:30 PM UTC
Unfortunately, US law does not apply to crimes committed outside of the country. Unless, it is a haenous crime we won't spend the time and resources to extradite said accused party(ies).
McKeever
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 01:22 AM UTC
I know guys, I am just venting about something from one of the darker corners of the internet.
I should not let it bother me because I am not so stupid as to actually click on the link.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 10:17 AM UTC
I'm dealing with that on my phone. "We need to discuss your credit card." "We need to discuss your credit card." "We need to discuss your credit card account, Matt Mallory." First of all, my credit account is through my bank. They don't have my cell number. Second, my bank doesn't text. Finally, my name is not "Matt Mallory".
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 10:41 AM UTC
Sadly, this stuff isn't new. The medium has changed, but it's the same old same old. And to some degree, I have little sympathy for those who succumb to these charlatans, be it poorly constructed and marginally literate emails about credit cards I don't have or "Nigerian scams" from Prince Peter M'batu whose father was displaced and is now looking to make me rich by illegally transferring money to me or a notice that I won a lottery in which I did not play.

I recall seeing some similar plot line on Dragnet in the mid 60's. If people haven't learned by now...
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 01:01 PM UTC
Nigeria was a scam? You mean my donation was not used to rescue the poor nigerian astronaut trapped on Mir?

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/11/wont-you-help-a-poor-nigerian-astronaut-who-just-wants-to-come-home-from-space
McKeever
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 03:30 PM UTC
Glad some of you see the humor in this sort of thing.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nigeria was a scam? You mean my donation was not used to rescue the poor nigerian astronaut trapped on Mir?

http://venturebeat.com/2012/09/11/wont-you-help-a-poor-nigerian-astronaut-who-just-wants-to-come-home-from-space

phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,568 Posts
KitMaker Network: 126 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 - 10:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

That has to be the funniest thing I've read all week! He's been stuck up there since 1989 and he's still in good humor. A lesser man would have cracked. Hang in there fella, helps coming

What kind of sucker falls for this?
armouredcharmer
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 670 Posts
KitMaker Network: 70 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 06:31 AM UTC
Just to update this "Fun" I keep getting e-mails from both men and women washing up in my spam filter,saying that they were at some party/meeting that I was supposed to have been at - and they never got my number !
Anyone else getting these or do I have a doppelganger floating around out there somewhere ?
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 22, 2014 - 07:15 AM UTC
A few months after the regime change in Libya,I got an E-Mail from Mrs Qaddafi detailing how her husband was unjustly removed from power and murdered and that she needed my help in moving some of her fortune out of the country.

Could you believe it ?? Does someone actually answer those ??
VintageRPM
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 300 Posts
KitMaker Network: 80 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 10:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could you believe it ?? Does someone actually answer those ??

A few years ago, a friend of mine answered a Nigerian scam, just to mess with them. But he said he wanted to deliver the money in person. He'd ask what the weather was like and what kind of weapons he might need to bring along. The email exchange went on for about 2 weeks.

As for the 8th amendment, it says "cruel AND unusual" not "cruel OR unusual", so I say make the usual punishment for them very cruel.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2014 - 10:57 AM UTC
I think the thing that is really annoying with these scams is that the people sucked in are those that can least afford it, over here as a rule the old.
sweaver
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
entire network: 759 Posts
KitMaker Network: 131 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2014 - 09:35 AM UTC
Ya'll need to spend a good hour reading some of these stories....some pretty funny stuff. These guys do nothing but bait the scammers in hilarious ways.

http://www.419eater.com

EDIT: For those who want to skip to the very best....enjoy: http://www.419eater.com/html/bigman.htm
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 668 Posts
KitMaker Network: 211 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 04, 2014 - 02:03 AM UTC
Somebody create a virus that can leap from computer to individual and you solved all your internet problems , but that could work both ways .