_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Greetings from an FNG
menglish
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 03:42 PM UTC
By that I mean "fairly" new guy. My name is Matt English and I am from Columbia, Maryland USA. I am an on again off again military modeller who is currently on again with a vengence. As a kid I built airplane models and after college I actually pulled out a few old kits I had and worked on them. I have been working on 35th scale armor from WWII for about the last 3 years. I am very much in the learning phase though.
I read a lot of articles on detailing and the like but I soon drown in my own inexperience when it comes to practicing those techniques. I am visual learner so watching someone once and asking questions is about 100 times better for me than reading a manual. I will repeat the standard "I have a lot of questions" line just as a matter of procedure. Most of my questions are so basic that most how-to articles don't address them. (ie. how do I paint extremely fine details like faces or gauges?) Well I am sure that I will be able to formulate more questions as time passes.

My other interests are model (and real) railroads, all forms of history with a focus on military history, aviation, and this here new fangled computer thingy.
By trade I am a Network Designer for an ISP, by degree I am a Bachelor of Arts in International Relations with a minor in Military History, by past hobbies/experiences I have been called firefighter, railroad engineer {yes the real kind}, student pilot, and amateur astronomer.

Well this was significantly longer than I expected, so I will wrap it up. Thanks for the forum and I hope to be a helpful contributor in the days/weeks/months/years(you get the idea) to come.

Thanks,
-Matt
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:08 PM UTC
Man I haven't seen or heard this exspession in over thirty years NFG(not since Nam).Although I like your defintion of the letters better. Welcome to Armorama. You have happened upon the BEST modeling site on the www. There are a bunch of very talented people here young an old alike and we are all glad to see that you have made it here.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 08:46 PM UTC
Welcome aboard my friend ! I hope u enjoy your nice stay here and ask as much as you can .We will be as much help as possible ! (:-)
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:48 AM UTC
I'm wit Animal. A warm welcome to the best site around. Have fun!!!
Ciao from Italy
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 01:52 AM UTC
FNG :-) I love it......
Welcome - just sit back and relax, you don't have to go searching any more. There is so much information and skill, I'm constantly picking up new stuff from this place and I've been here a little while...

Welcome
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
entire network: 3,098 Posts
KitMaker Network: 899 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 10:06 PM UTC
Glad to have you with us. You will really enjoy this site. Don't be afraid to ask any questions that you have. There is a vast wealth of knowledge here. Welcome and enjoy.
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 568 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC
welcome aboard im still a new guy here myself...excellent site you will enjoy this place :-)
Venom
Visit this Community
Alessandria, Italy
entire network: 720 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 09:36 AM UTC
welcome aboard! hi from italy!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2003 - 10:05 AM UTC
Welcome aboard Matt, to the very BEST modeling site on the web. Warning, it's addictive though.

Off topic question for you? You are from Columbia MD? Did you by chance grow up in California? I knew a Matt English many, many, moons ago.

menglish
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 14 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 21, 2003 - 04:36 PM UTC
halfyank, i didn't grow up in California, but I did live there for a year and a half in the 1999-2001 timeframe. Orange County to be exact. Don't ask my opinion of O.C. unless you want a diatribe on meaning of the phrase "self absorrbed". And I am new so I don't think that would be a good way to introduce myself. I do see that you live in Colorado. What part? I was in Colorado before I found myself in CA. Littleton to be exact near Broadway and Dry Creek. Don't ask my opinion of Colorado unless you want me to get teary-eyed about how much I miss it.
4-Eyes71
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 424 Posts
KitMaker Network: 376 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 12:36 PM UTC
Wow! You surely are loaded with talent. A jack-of-all trades. Welcome to the club!
firemann816
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 790 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 22, 2003 - 01:33 PM UTC
Welcome to Armorama,
best sense of community anywhere

Post Pics of the models
 _GOTOTOP