_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Photo Etch Bend Tool
nheather
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 295 Posts
KitMaker Network: 90 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:14 PM UTC
Hi,

I'm not big into photo-etch, I certainly don't buy photo-etch add-ons but I notice that a lot of the kits I buy these days have a small amount of photo-etch.

I fancy getting a tool to help bend it but I find the tools very expensive, especially compared with the level of my skill.

It's not that I can't afford it, just that it seems like a lot of money.

I don't have big photo-etch to bend and don't believe I ever will. So My research has brought me down to three options

Hold n Fold Bug (£32 - $52)
Seems to be well regarded, looks like it has lots of features - not sure whether I need them all though.

Trumpeter Master Tools Medium (£20 - $32)
Similar to the bug but with less intricate bending fingers

RB Flip-R5 (£12 - $20)
A different approach - like a mini folding bench, seems quick because you hold the piece in place with one hand and fold with the other.

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_79&products_id=186&zenid=c2ce13aec25731259c0edcb22a66a978

The RB Flip-R5 is very tempting on price and simplicity and looks like it would meet my basic needs. But the modeller and engineer in me is saying that I should get the 'Bug'.

Anyone used the RB Flip-R5? If so what do you think of it?

Also welcome any opinion on the others.

BTW - I much more inclined to buy something than build a DIY project - it's not so much about spending as little as possible, just spending wisely to suit my needs.

Cheers,

Nigel
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, February 08, 2014 - 11:28 PM UTC
For making smaller bends, I use flat head tweezers or two razor blades. Much cheaper and works great. I would say I only use my Hold-n-Fold for half of my bends and those are all from am sets.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Sunday, February 09, 2014 - 02:37 AM UTC
Nigel,

Like Matt indicated, I use tweezers and assorted plyers to bend most of the PE I have used so far. I build mostly in 1/72 scale, so most of the PE I have used is small.

I do have the Mr. Fold-It from The Armory by Gauntlet, which is the least expensive tool I could find about five years ago. I've used it for some of the larger bends and PE pieces I've used. One thing I would advise is to keep the screw knob loose when you aren't using it, that way it doesn't stress the polymer material.

A review can be found here: PMMS Mr. Fold-It Review

HTH
 _GOTOTOP