_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Skif Models
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 02:48 PM UTC
Does anyone know if the Skif model line are any good or not? Seen a couple that I would like to have just wondering if they are worth the bucks. Only about $25 each.

Thanks
HastyP
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 03:55 PM UTC
Depends on which ones.. their T55 is quite poor in comparison to the excellent and more expensive Tamiya version.

The T64's all have the same turret even though there should be differences - if I'm remembering right.
They make the only ones so if you HAVE to have a T64 in plastic in 1/35, they're the only game in town. Likewise for the BMP3 and the MTLB and SAM vers.

While they provide some interior detail, it is by no means comprehensive or even accurate for that matter..

I'd look for lower prices if I were you..

Mike
Proud owner of 2x T64's 2x BMP3's, both MTLB based kits..
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 04:01 PM UTC
Decent kits, more akin to older Italeri kits in quality and detail. Accuracy is questionable, but kits are buildable. $25 is kind of steep though. I've got a few of them, T-64b, BMP-3, mine plow, T-55, T-80U. BMP's not that bad.
HastyP
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,117 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 11:46 AM UTC
The kits are $25 Canadian so about $19 US. Does that sound more like the prices whefre you are? I may buy one... still debating.

Thanks for the info
Hasty
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 18, 2003 - 12:55 PM UTC
$19 US sounds more reasonable. If it's a kit you're really interested in and you know you're not getting 'new' Tamiya quality, I'd say go for it.
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 07:18 AM UTC
The tracks are very bad...
But I was happy building the T64BV. And I've begun building the BTR-152 and so far it builds OK...
Still, they need some work ! Think about getting Eduard PE for the kit !
dbusack
Visit this Community
South Dakota, United States
entire network: 971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 - 07:33 AM UTC
I haven't tried to build one yet, but I can give you a cheap place to buy them at:

http://www.hobbyterra.com/

I have ordered from this company a couple times. Even though they are in Russia, my orders have always arrived fast. The only thing I can recommend is when you order try to pick out models that are easy to distinguish between. When they ship the models, to save space the parts are all sealed in their plastic, and the boxes for the models are shipped flat. You need to glue the box together yourself if you want to shelve it.

I will not think twice before ordering from them again or recommending them to anyone.

Don
 _GOTOTOP