_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!
Built a model or part from your own materials lately?
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Large dio - advice
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 09:44 AM UTC
Hi,

I'm planning a large scale diorama - 1:6 to be exact.

I want to create the effect of walls made from large stone blocks. I'm looking into suitable materials for this - the two possibilities in my mind are either foam board or plasterboard.

This is broadly the effect I want to recreate. I'm aiming to make it look as realistic as possible.

Has anyone used these materials for this purpose? I'm open to any other suggestions too...

Thanks in advance!

A
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 10:05 AM UTC
i would give the foam board insulation a try as the easiest material to sculpt.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 2014 - 10:22 AM UTC
I've tried DAP plaster(many,many years ago). I applied it over cardboard, but you can layer this as needed. It sculpts fairly well. I imagine you could also cut "bricks" from cork and set it in plaster. However, this my be a little more labor intensive than you desire. To recreate the weathered effect, you may want to try Mr. Surfacer 500.
Andronicus
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 391 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 - 09:42 AM UTC
Hi,

Thanks to you both - helpful to have your input. I reckon if I use plaster I'll probably need to put it onto something sturdy like hardboard, maybe even staple a mesh to it first, and then smooth it on.

I guess the advantage of foamboard is that it'll be self-supporting - I can build with it and also cut the texture into it.

Hmmm....
Grumpy_Gil
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 03:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi,

I'm planning a large scale diorama - 1:6 to be exact.

I want to create the effect of walls made from large stone blocks. I'm looking into suitable materials for this - the two possibilities in my mind are either foam board or plasterboard.

This is broadly the effect I want to recreate. I'm aiming to make it look as realistic as possible.

Has anyone used these materials for this purpose? I'm open to any other suggestions too...

Thanks in advance!

A

Have a look at this? http://youtu.be/SM3szn35Rss
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 1,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 76 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2014 - 10:38 PM UTC
One thing i have used to make walls is plaster of Paris .i build a frame to what ever i want to make ,a wall ,,so a square one ...then i make the plaster thin so it pours easily it will settle flat from the start and when it gets a little harder i scrape the top to smooth it a little more.
I nail the wood..balsa works great for that ..to a smooth sheet of plastic ..the plaster wont stick to the plastic.
I leave it for a week in the airing cuboard to dry out for a week then you can draw on it and then just scrape the brick lines you want ..the plaster tends to chip a little when you scrape it making it look very real indeed, I use the back of a model knife blade ..you might want to use something larger for the scale your working in but this works beautifully .

Cheers
Phill
PeeDee
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 - 06:55 PM UTC
No-one has metioned the weight created by these methods and if you don't mind me suggesting ....
If this is to be transported to model shows etc you will need to consider factoring weight and overall mass into your choice of method.
I think I would get a sheet of insulating builders foam that would be slid between inner and outer walls. They are pretty cheap very light weight and have the bulk the scale calls for and you can would cut back rather than layer up for your core.
Then you can trowel on any mix of cheap plaster or tube/tub filler mixed with a little pVa and dark acrylic paint while the board is flat and after you know it is starting to set,stipple all over with a toothbrush.
The calcarious surface effect is guaranteed that way. Then you can score the courses into the medium and let it dry.
If you go over it all gently with a stiff brush you will get small chips flaking off for the final effect without pale plaster showing through and it won't take loads of coats of paint to finish it because of the pva.
In fact when painting the frirst coat mix a bit of pva and acrylic together and wash it on as a sealer coat..
Good luck.
Apologies for any mis spellings I'm sending this from my blackberry on the bus !
 _GOTOTOP