_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Normandy pictures?
APbullet
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
entire network: 236 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:30 PM UTC
Hello everybody,

I'm going to Normandy next summer and then i thought, that would be a great opportunity for making pictures 'on site'. So here is my question: is there something i absolutly can't miss (except the beaches offcourse) and are there any subjects you guys wan't to see pictures of. So if you have any sugestions i will try to make a picture over there. And then i will post them here on Armorama for all of you, or e-mail them if you whish.

Greetings,

Wouter (looking forward to the summer already)
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 - 08:54 PM UTC
its an incredibly interesting place to visit, ive been twice, and there are a few places i would consider unmissible;

pegasus bridge- nice museum, you get to walk across the real bridge, also some nice preserved armour

360' cinema at arromanches-brilliant, atmospheric experience.

various cemeteries- a very humbling experience, particularly st laurant and bayeaux.

if you want ill dig out some more info for you, pm me

cheers

joe
mossieramm
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
entire network: 253 Posts
KitMaker Network: 82 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 01:51 AM UTC
Living in Holland I’ve visited Normandy regularly. Some of the places that have had a lasting impression on me were.
Arromanches, has a very cool museum, and while I was there I took helicopter flight over what’s left. Very impressive.
Saint mere Eglise, has a nice museum in nice town. Even has someone hanging from a church.
I would watch the Longest Day before you visit, just adds a bit of flavor to your visit. Especially if you go to Quistreham (spelling anyone??) Remember the scene where a couple of nuns come down the hill to help the French Commandos ?? Well, there are no hills in Quistreham . Has a great museum though as well as being a nice place on the coast.
There are a few more places to see, like Bayeaux, one of three remaining Tiger VI with an awful camouflage, parts of the Atlantic Wall. One of the things that stick out, is that some parts of the beaches are still closed off, because there is still live ammo around.
If you are going by car, just go driving round for a day, you wont get very far as there are literally hundreds of little museums, bunkers, guns in the area. Hmm, I think I’ll go again.
If you want to know more, I’m here.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 1,462 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 05:28 AM UTC
that would be cool if you took some pics,
and post them
justchris
Visit this Community
France
entire network: 6 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 - 07:05 AM UTC
You have too many choises, you should try CAEN in the CALVADOS DEPT # 14 post code 14066. There is the Memorial adress : Esplanade EISENHOWER 14066 Caen phone 02.31.06.06.44
www.memorial-caen.fr
www.memorial-caen.com
i've bought books from it and there is really great pictures.
you can visit FALAISE, SAINT-LÔ,SAINT-LAMBERT-SUR-DIVES and many else..... if you have digital camera take lots of memory cards....
Have a nice trip !!!
 _GOTOTOP