_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
English to French
Talavera
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 2 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:56 AM UTC
I am looking to do a 1/35 French M4A2 Sherman that liberated Paris in 1944 as depicted on the French Sherman Bison decal sheet.

I have the 1/35 Dragon British Sherman III in Sicily. Is it possible to do a French Sherman from this kit? I am aware it will need modifications, but does anyone know what they are?

Can these be done easily or would I be better off getting a new kit, and if so which one would you recommend.

Many thanks

Talavera
chumpo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 749 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:02 AM UTC
Anything can be done , it's yourself that can answer that question . How much are you willing to bite , chew and swallow . Sure the correct version will make the job easier but even the right model is not historically correct . Research and more research .
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,981 Posts
KitMaker Network: 574 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 06:19 AM UTC
The DML kit can represent some of the French tanks, but you really need to work from photos. They had a real mixed bag of M4A2s (and others), including the square-hooded Fisher product represented by the kit. But they also had a lot with cast hoods as represented by Tasca's Sherman III 35018, and there is a DML equivalent of this one too. I've got this Sicily kit in the "shelf queen" collection at the moment, being converted to "Ile de France" as seen unloading in Normandy...

You don't say which name, but you can look here to see what the correct version might be. Note that some of these tanks have a real mix of early and late features, so don't expect to get away with blindly following the instructions! A deep spares box can help, but many of the DML kits have so many extras in them that you can often find the variant parts in the same box...
 _GOTOTOP