_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
PE Bending Tool
Nokturnal
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
entire network: 65 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hey there,

I am in the market for a bending tool and I'd rather just get one tool and not have to worry about upgrading later down the track. Much rather buy more kits!

RP Toolz have some nice options, and good prices, but they seem to have fewer functions/features than others, so I am finding myself looking at the Small Shop's offerings and that's where I hit a wall...

I am torn between The BUG and the 5 speed - I've read numerous reviews on both and they tend to come to the same conclusions each time - Both are great and accomplish pretty much every bending task available. Additionally most people who own one end up owning both...

So my question is this:
Which would you recommend? I can understand having both (eventually) if it's necessary - But ideally I'd like to get one and have it serve me well enough for a few years first.
For that reason I am leaning more towards the 5 speed, but then I hear people who have that and then buy the BUG end up having the BUG doing most of the work - Is that simply because it's smaller and takes up less of the work space?
Is it faster? Better?

What jobs can each not do?
I would imagine, size not being a factor, the 5 speed would be the only necessary tool as it can handle small and large items?

I've got enough kits to keep me going for a while so I don't mind spending a bit more for the 5 speed instead, however I don't want to do that if it won't do any more than the BUG can do.

My main focus is 1/35 scale - Vehicles and arty/guns, but I'm sure to add a few 48 or 72 scale items to my collection in the future.
I don't intend to be buying old kits then getting heaps of PE to fix them up - However that being said, most kits come with PE these days and there are a few upgrade sets I've looked at which I would like to get once I have the skills/tool to make the use of them.

The only one I have in my crosshairs currently is this:
http://www.voyagermodel.com/%5CProduct-PEA%5CPEA170%5CPEA170_04.jpg

Just the bar/slat armour (PEA170). Would be nice if anyone can shed some light on whether or not either of these tools (hopefully both) could tackle this?

Anyway,
Thanks for taking the time to read all that, and I appreciate any help that can be provided!

Alex
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2014 - 02:27 AM UTC
I have a homemade version more like the 5 speed. (But I can make a version like a bug)

IMHO, it really comes down to the amount of long(er) PE you think you'll be bending.
urumomo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 675 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 09:45 AM UTC
It's like a pistol and a rifle
You want to be shot by neither but each has it's advantage over the other. .
.. you can't do 'long' stuff but The Bug will handle 95% of AFV stuff ( maybe )( maybe 87.2% )
You're gonna end up buying more than one bender - be honest ( unless you end up just hating PE ,ha ha )

I have the 5.5" from The Small Shop . It's a beautiful tool
Just buy both and get it over with !

BTW : The Small Shop rules ! You certainly won't be disappointed with the service or quality .

Cheers ,
Keith
jlogicalor
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 8 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Monday, February 03, 2014 - 12:40 PM UTC
I have the 5.5 from small shop also, works great.
 _GOTOTOP