_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
Tamiya Old Model List
bronson
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC
Every armour model, and infantry models I have made thus far have been produced by the Tamiya model company. Up unitl this point I have been quite pleased with the quality and detail of the kits. Recently I purchased a german infantry set (35002 | German Army Infantry) and to my suprise the troops were molded as one peice. I looked at the date on the box (the packaging looked like all the other infantry I have purchased from the company) and it said 'copyright 1960'! Needless to say, I was very disappointed in the kit, and will not use them for my next project. Now I know at least to check the copyright dates on the box to see how 'old' the kits are, but I often buy my kits online. Is there a list availible online that denotes which kits are 'older' and should be stayed away from? Thanks much.
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 07:44 AM UTC
The Kit number kind of tells the Story..... The Lower the Number the Older the Kit!!!!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 07:55 AM UTC
To take matt's comments a little further I've made a list of models that I currently have, as well as their Tamiya kit number. I keep this with me when I go shopping. Based on that I have an idea of which kits are older than others. I know for example that Tamiya had two kits of the Jeep. The later one, kit 35219 is MUCH better than the earlier one. I know if I see a Tamiya kit number later than 35219 it's not bad. The only time this breaks down is when Tamiya re-releases a kit, like they did the Churchill, kit 35210. In this kit the model itself is right out of the 60s or 70s, even has the holes for motorizing the kit. At least when they reissued it they added some niced figures and a little French Farmer and his cart so you get something for you money.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 15, 2003 - 05:45 PM UTC
Yeap , but if is a re-release of the old Churchill Crocodile that i have closed in box for over a decade i think they cutted out the fuel trailer. So the farmer is good but the trailer also !!!!
 _GOTOTOP